Honey Paw Uncapper - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Honey Paw Uncapper

I bought one last summer from propolis. It worked so well. My 20 frame dadant extractor cannot keep up with the uncapping anymore. Nice clean comb. Very pricey but one of the best additions to my list. I do only have wax from the comb exchange though now but that does not bother me as I'm not a wax farmer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

For those using the honey paw uncapper.

Do you find issues with frames gradually becoming uneven as you are no longer evening them out with the knife?

I'm still unsure of the relative benefit of not having to process cappings vs not having the wax for things like waxing new plastic foundation.

Anything else you've found from using it?

With the price of wax what it is I would miss it. Great gadget.
    from the Bee House -http://ecologicalsolutions.com.au/bees/?page_id=8
    40 years - +/- 20 H - TF - Subtropical

I purchased one in 2016, used it in harvesting in July and was not too impressed. First of all I strain the honey directly from the extractor and due to the melted wax from the slit uncapper the strainers soon plugged up. I reverted to a hot knife which I felt was faster and less trouble.
    Johno

Thanks, Johno - very helpful info
    from the Bee House -http://ecologicalsolutions.com.au/bees/?page_id=8
    40 years - +/- 20 H - TF - Subtropical

I bought one at the start of this season because of arthritis problems limiting the amount of work I can do when using uncapping knives. I have a couple of observations that you might find useful.
    Firstly, it is a slower method than with using knives. Trying to go too hard and fast produces a lot of distortion in the wax on the frame which I would rather avoid. Even so, depending on how fast the honey is coming out of the frames in the extractor, it is possible to keep up with demand for more frames. It is probably better to start uncapping well ahead of centrifuging, especially if the honey is coming out quick. Taking it slowly probably does a better job and is easier on your frames.
    Secondly, trying to filter the honey out of the extractor is not a successful option, rather, let it sit for a couple of days and skim the wax froth off the top or remove settled honey from below.
    It is much easier on the hands for me!! Worth the cost? Well, the cost of the uncapper, a wallpaper stripper and getting a stainless frame made up to suit was about $600, equivalent to about 3 boxes worth of honey at retail prices, so yes, it's well paid for already.

The Bush Beeman just released a YouTube video showing this uncapper in action. Looks pretty neat. He is not endorsing it like DTFBM did that other uncapper, just showing off his new toy. I can't figure out how to post the YouTube link so you will need to look it up if you want to watch. Episode 28.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    I can't figure out how to post the YouTube link so you will need to look it up if you want to watch. Episode 28.
    Here is the video.

Zone 5B

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12