Default Looong hive stand

I redid my beeyard and replaced the individual hive stands with one long hive stand.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P-cI8jMlBg

Vince

Default Re: Looong hive stand

Now you have long stand and original stands. Looks like you'll need more hives.

Don't let yourself fall into the trap of having to work colonies from the rear, that is just asking for a back injury.
    40 years - 25 colonies, 32 Nucs - IPM disciple - Naturally Skeptic

I definitely see where you are going with it; I hope it works well for you. I have a similar one that can hold 6 hives and end up with 3 or 4 and work on the side of a hive straddling the stand. It is a little awkward. I'm setting up a new bee yard and they will all be 2 hives wide; almost 2 hive pallets. That being said, I don't have a somewhat permanent location that you seem to have. Everything is supported on movable concrete blocks at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by AR Beekeeper View Post
    Don't let yourself fall into the trap of having to work colonies from the rear, that is just asking for a back injury.
    I have been working my hives from the back for 3 years now. I much prefer it to working from the front. If you look at the video you will notice a wall along the back that serves as a nice bench for hive bodies, tools etc.

I prefer to work mine from the side.

I just happened onto your youtube channel last night while perusing bee videos. You never did an update on your honey production on the two side-by-side colonies sharing the supers, like you promised in the video!

Quote Originally Posted by Gumpy View Post
    I just happened onto your youtube channel last night while perusing bee videos. You never did an update on your honey production on the two side-by-side colonies sharing the supers, like you promised in the video!
    I posted the results in the comments sections. It was a failure. Both sides of the hive dwindled down to nothing. It was difficult to work as well. I'm glad I tried it though. I learned something even if it wasn't what I had hoped for.

Vince

That looks nice. That wall would be handy to put things on. Maybe I could keep up with a hive tool if I had a wall behind mine! I built a 20 foot steel stand and put my nucs on it. I prefer working big hives from the side but that takes many more hive stands. When I started I made steel stands for each hive but only made a few of them. I then made some that hold 3 hives and I can work the one on each end, from the side but still have to work the one in the middle from the back or front.
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

This is kinda funny. My first hives are on a long couple of 4x4s on cement blocks. I have been busy building stands like you are getting rid of.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    I posted the results in the comments sections. It was a failure. Both sides of the hive dwindled down to nothing. It was difficult to work as well. I'm glad I tried it though. I learned something even if it wasn't what I had hoped for.

Vince
    Thanks for the update. I don't generally read the comments on YouTube. Too many people with no social skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumpy View Post
    Thanks for the update. I don't generally read the comments on YouTube. Too many people with no social skills.
    I agree. I don't know how to amend the video. The hive is no longer together so I am not sure what I would do, make a video of me standing in front of an empty hive stand and say it did not work? I am open to suggestions.

Vince

I always try to read the comments on vidios I am trying to learn from. An open public forum doesn't let much get by and I have learned alot from comments.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b