Thread: Crane lift

Default Crane lift

Anyone have experience with something like this? http://t.harborfreight.com/12-ton-ca...731-10018.html
    I'm looking for an efficient way to move my hives next spring so I can do some small scale pollination (~20 hives). Would a pallet of hives (4-way or 6-way) exceed 1000lbs, if I removed honey supers?

Default Re: Crane lift

I know someone who is using a pickup with similar setup. It's really a two person job. He runs all single double deeps on migratory bottom boards. You might be able to get away with a 2 way pallet. I doubt 4 or 6 way pallets. Keep in mind once you get them into the bed, you have to manually move them into place so you can load the next one. I think when you how difficult it is to manually move hives, moving 20 is not worth your time and effort. It's a lot easier for me to use a hand truck and flatbed trailer.

I should have mentioned this would be mounted on a flatbed trailer, not the back of my pickup. How does your hand truck setup work?

Slide the hand truck nose under the migratory bottom board, tilt up and wheel the hive on to the deck. I have the trailer setup to secure two hives together with ratchet straps. As I said- the thought of pollination work seems like it's great idea, but when you start factoring the time and effort I feel I can do better with stationary beekeeping. I found when moving the hives and trailering them, I ended up replacing too many queens.

Good to know. What kind of nectar sources do your bees have? Wild stuff or things you planted? My goal for moving (other than pollination fees) would be to get more honey.

I just find good locations and leave them their. It's much easier then moving hives. Lots of folks move hives by hand- it's just not for me.

Note that the rated capacity of the HF Crane is 1000 lbs ONLY when the boom extension is not extended at all, with a boom length of 33 inches. IMO it will be quite difficult to position pallets without extending the boom, and doing so will cut the weight rating significantly. At full extension (boom length 53") the weight rating is only 500 lbs. There is a link to the product manual with this info on the HF product page.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft