Default Looking at Dadant extractor

I'm looking at a used 12 frame dadant extractor and noticed it has a right angle motor on it with a variable speed control box wired inline , there current model has the direct drive motor . Does anyone know when they made the switch to the newer motor , trying to get the age of this machine before buying it , are the older style motors strong and dependable .
    Last edited by laketrout; 09-07-2014 at 10:55 AM.

Default Re: Looking at Dadant extractor

Dadant has always made good extractors. Extractors are used so few days a year that name brand extractors that have been maintained, just do not seem to wear out

Yeah , dadant makes a good extractor , trying to decide how much to offer and if I new how old it was it would give me something to go on .He wants quite a bit for it .

I think mine has the same motor you described if I'm understanding you correctly and I bought it new in 1989. So they upgraded sometime after that, not sure what year. I edited my original post because I first thought you were talking about an older belt drive. I've never had a problem with the motor but I was at the Dadant metal shop last year and asked what it would take to retrofit a new style motor if mine went bad. They said the new style will bolt right up.
    Last edited by SWM; 09-07-2014 at 11:44 AM.

Thanks for the info , glad to know it can be changed over to the new style but I bet its not cheap !! Might be 400 or 500 for the motor assembly . if I ran into that I would be back up to the new price of the extractor .

Yeah you're right, those motors aren't cheap. They gave me a price but I don't recall what it was...I suspect your numbers are not too far off.

Does anyone know if the old style motors can be rebuilt for much less money , would parts be available