Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Table saw

Default Table saw

I think im going to invest in a table saw. I dont want to spend crazy amounts of money. Just something that will make my boxes stuff around the house. But mostly will be used for my bee equipment. I looked around and saw this craftsman. https://m.sears.com/craftsman-10inch...p-00921807000P. I used to like sears tools but haven't bought from them in a couple years. I saw a dewalt for around the same price without legs. Any suggestions on a good saw?
    Thanks

Default Re: Table saw

My suggestions are: buy used but see it run and make sure it cuts square. Also, make sure that you can fit at least a 3/4 dado stack onto the threaded shaft along with the stiffing washer and nut.

I am using an old Sears unit but it is about 40 years old...
    Working to propagate my survivors and staying treatment free

I have a portable DeWalt table saw and I really like it.

After what Sears did to the Bionic Wrench company, I will never buy another Sears product in my lifetime.

I have had a cheap Ryobi table saw with stand for about 3 years. It's not great, but I am not a great carpenter either. It does the job to the level I need it done.

I second the 3/4 inch dado stack capability...you will not regret it. If it will handle 7/8 even better.

I think I paid $300 for a used bosch 4100. I bought three new skills that didn't hold up. So far I really like the bosch. I have not owned any others and can only say that the bosch was better then the skills (made by the same company). I have only had a table saw for about 10 years and wonder how I ever lived with out one now.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

I had a cheap Craftsman 10 table saw for many years. The fence always had to get squared to the blade before making any cut. I finally got sick of the saw when the depth started to drift and searched for a replacement. I found an ancient Craftsman saw (Craftsman 113.29991) that a buddy just gave me to get it out of his storage. The thing weighs a ton but the fence always stays square without constantly adjusting and no drifting depth.
    Remember the adage "You get what you pay for".

If you want something that will store easily find a Bosch. If space is no problem Do a Delta contractor saw. Just remember that the fence is the heart of the saw. Both can be had on Craigslist

The newer saws with the gear reduction brush type motor will not log near the hours before biting the dust that the old belt drive saws would.

Certainly check that the shaft will take a dado blade stack.
    Frank

Yeah i want the dado blade. Ill check the ones mentioned out. Thanks. My father has a radial arm saw. He bought it when i was about 5 or 6 yrs old and im 48 now . The thing runs good still. In fact im going to my parents this weekend to use it.

Started with an ancient craftsman belt driven one. (heavy)
    Then I got a cheaper lighter model and finally my buddy sold me his newer 2-horse Craftsman. Now I have three. It's sweet! I can leave the dado stack on one and use another for rips and I've sort of retired the ancient one. It's the spare.
    I build a lot of boxes and it really is a time saver to have two.
    Eventually, and I mean next Tuesday, I'm taking some of my home built boxes to show, tell, and try to sell at the bee club meeting. We have a huge membership so why not?

Craigslist is full of table saws for sale usually.
    Internet credibility is an oxymoron

I got one for 100 used old craftsman on a stand fresh blade works great came with a dado as well already saved me money since I owned it just made double nucs bottoms for like 17 bucks a piece
    You can do it all with a table saw
    Friend tells me take time to stop and smell the roses I say "I do then I take 10 steps quicker to make up for lost time"

I don't think this is hijacking. I am looking for the same recommendations as Billboard, but I would like one of the portable saws on wheels that also collapse so you can hang it on a wall. I have a large, very difficult to move, old Ryobi. It does everything, but I need more space and the ability to move it by myself. I agree that the fence is very important. Would also like one with metal blade adjustment gears and not plastic. I am not afraid to spend on a good tool.

If you have the space to store/use it (no folding up to put it away), a table saw with a belt driven blade is my suggestion. The belt drive allows the motor to be mounted 'out back', where the height of the motor does not impact the maximum cutting depth of the blade. And since the overall physical size of the motor is then not an issue, the motor can be a capacitor start AC induction motor. A direct drive motor is more likely to have compromised performance due to the need to keep the overall physical size of the motor smaller.

Craigslist is a good resource for affordable larger size induction motor saws.

Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 02-02-2017 at 08:14 PM. Reason: typo
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I had belt driven stationary saw but really no warm or level work space. Gave it to my brother. So shifted to a portable DeWalt table saw with the wheels. Now it can be loaded on the truck with just ramp lifting or left standing in the corner of the green house or barn. Mine will take my stacked dado and wobble dado blade barely. It has run hard and heavy since 2011.
    Zone 5B and waiting. 29m

Invest in the fence. I found an old cast iron sears saw with a biesemeyer fence. Had to replace the motor after a year but it is beautifully accurate. And the new motor is a beast. She sings. She cuts perfectly straight. Craigslist search for a biesemeyer and checkout saws that have one. Bring boards to attest motor strength, check square on the blade to fence. An ibox needs a stable saw that rips a straight edge.

I got a Ridgid TS3650, and for making boxes, it's a great saw. Light enough to be easily moved around on it's wheels. Takes a Dado set and has enough power to push it. Nice fence. I got it used and in great condition on Craigslist for $350 and I've seen one since for $250.

Here's a review

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Foster Collins View Post
    I got a Ridgid TS3650, and for making boxes, it's a great saw. Light enough to be easily moved around on it's wheels. Takes a Dado set and has enough power to push it. Nice fence. I got it used and in great condition on Craigslist for $350 and I've seen one since for $250.

Here's a review
    X2. I found a barely used TS3650 on Craigslist a few months back and picked it up for $325. Love the saw and it does roll around nicely for being nearly 300lbs. Funny thing is I bought it to make more beekeeping equipment and have yet to make any because I've so busy making other projects with it.

I found this one on craigslist https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/tls/5985364041.html
    Its listed for $550 at home depot on craigslist they want $300. Otherwise the rest are pretty old. There is this one
    https://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/tls/5982505399.html
    But i have no clue about Hitachi brand? Anyone heard of Hitachi?

any new saw, and many used saws, will need to be squared up before using. A new saw's manual will describe how to square it. Manuals for used saws are just a google search away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast