Default Ventilated Bee Suit Recommendation

Anyone have a preference, Mann Lake vs. Dandant, on a ventilated bee suit? The Mann Lake is about $50 more money but, I don't mind the extra money if it is a superior product and will hold up better than Dandant's as I do a lot of commercial bee removals and either suit will get heavy use.

Default Re: Ventilated Bee Suit Recommendation

I got mine from pest mall and love it. From what i gathered, several companies in the US used the same suit, just branded, from India. I could not find a site from India to order from however.

I got mine from Blue Sky Bee Supply. Free shipping and a BeeSource sponser.

I love my ML ventilated jacket, helps a lot in 100 degree temps and it has held up for a year now.
    Coyote Creek Bees

I have a Golden Bee and just bought my nephew an Ultra Breeze...don't think you can go wrong with either one of these!
    Last edited by Moots; 03-07-2014 at 06:32 AM.

A summary of my experience with ventilated suits:
    Pigeon Mountain (PMTC) = hate, broken zippers, split seams and collapsing veil
    Mann Lake = like, haven't used it much. Mann Lake has great customer service.
    UltraBreeze = love.

If you can afford it or have a low tolerance for getting stung, I'd go Ultra Breeze (Golden Bee gets rave reviews but I don't have any experience).

Order a suit big, when you are squatted down a smallish suit will shift the veil into contact with your face...

I also highly recommend against the Pigeon Mountain suits. They use very poor materials and workmanship so they self destruct. It would take a long time to list all the individual problems in their suits. Put your money towards a good suit....I know I will when my Pigeon Mountain suit gets beyond easy repair. I am tired of fixing it after only one season.

I have two UltraBreeze products, their full suit and the jacket. Both quality products, but not without issues. On the suit, the veil's screen failed (cracked at the attachment seams) and had to be replaced. More recently the zippers on the veil of the jacket failed. I have a 12 year old Dadant suit which keeps going without issue. How hard can it be to make a veil+zipper that holds up? I'm less critical of the zipper failure, but the screen failure was just poor materials. I believe that they may have resolved the screen issue in more recent products, but I feel they should have provided some accommodations for the faulty product. I called them and their response to me was take it to a seamstress and get it repaired (at my cost), or buy a new veil. Others with suits of that vintage reported exactly the same failures, so it was a known flaw in the materials. All that being said, I will probably buy another UB and my reason why is that I find it somewhat offensive that all the other companies are selling these foreign built knockoffs of Bill's design.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

I love the Ultra-Breeze. Good quality zippers and construction. I like the jacket better as it's easier to get on and off...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

UltraBreeze all the way. No problems, easy to get in and get out, really helps in the hot summer days in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroBee View Post
    All that being said, I will probably buy another UB and my reason why is that I find it somewhat offensive that all the other companies are selling these foreign built knockoffs of Bill's design.
    If "American made" is high on you list...you may want to check out the Golden Bee suit. I've heard her say she's been approached about having them sewed overseas and how much cheaper it would be...She adamant that it's something she would NEVER consider doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    Good quality zippers
    There's been more than one report of zippers failing.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

UltraBreeze jacket. Going on year 4 with no problems. Zippers, veil, etc...all working great. Worth the extra few bucks. Quality workmanship.
    30 hives and counting...
    Huntsville, AL: Alabama's best kept secret

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Williamson View Post
    I also highly recommend against the Pigeon Mountain suits. They use very poor materials and workmanship so they self destruct. It would take a long time to list all the individual problems in their suits. Put your money towards a good suit....I know I will when my Pigeon Mountain suit gets beyond easy repair. I am tired of fixing it after only one season.
    I have a Pigeon Mountain suit. The zipper was no good and they sent a replacement ( to Australia!!) I have no problems with the suit.

Also have one from MannLake and it is also a good suit.

Friends who would never get close to bees will feel comfortable with one of these suits - they are great!
    from the Bee House -http://ecologicalsolutions.com.au/bees/?page_id=8
    40 years - +/- 20 H - TF - Subtropical

I have a 3 year old Ultra Breeze and love it. I bought my dad (83) one for his birthday last year and he loves his. My son's birthday is coming up and he will get his Ultra Breeze. I had one issue with the screen folding under my chin when I first got my suit. I got stung 20 plus times that day, all under my chin. I took pics and sent them to UB that and the next day I got a call from them. The redesigned the hood and sent me one of the new ones. I love my UB suit. Good product, and good customer service from my experience.

My ultra breeze is 10 years old, I still wear it more than the new mann lake.
    I'm not tense, Just terribly, terribly alert!