Thread: Sealing wood

Question Sealing wood

Brand new beek here. I am studing, reading and starting to buy equipment for the 2015 season. I love the warm natural look of stained wood so I want to stain and seal the outside of my hives. I was watching a video on utube about sealing stained hives with fiberglass resin but he didn't elaberate. What, in your opinion is the best substance to seal and protect the wood of our hives?

Default Re: Sealing wood

I see fiber glass being a pain in the long run. The only system that I recommend is by Sikins. Most of the people that own log home use this. About $ 85 per gallon. Speaking as a painting contractor.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by My-smokepole View Post
    I see fiber glass being a pain in the long run.
    David
    2nd year beekeeper...2 years is obviously not a long run. Why is it a pain? I am using it on 4 hives and it works great. Bee don't care, stain is protected, and water beads great.

Quote Originally Posted by rgus View Post
    I love the warm natural look of stained wood. What, in your opinion is the best substance to seal and protect the wood of our hives?
    If it's just plain ole pine..then paint. Pine doesnt stain well. too blotchy. For standard day-to-day bee hives, the bees dont care and the hives do get dirty sittin outside in the elements. A hive is always changing in apperance. Adding boxes, taking away boxes, adding on feeder, taking it back off. Getting a "Matched Set" for looks can be hard to maintain.
    If your using a nice hardwood for a pretty hive than whatever stain and outside varnish you wish to use. Personally I like the matte look vs gloss but each to their own. Just dont do the inside or top/bottom edges...leave that natural.
    I've got a Victorian Style hive in mind myself I may build over the winter if I have time.
    3 hives/2 nucs

I'll be using the cheapest oil-based white paint I can find . Latex is OK , but I prefer enamel , it adheres better and lasts longer . I've been in construction trades for over 40 years , seen a lot and a properly applied two-coat of oil based enamel beats the rest for cost/benefit - IMO , of course .

Quote Originally Posted by rgus View Post
    Brand new beek here. I am studing, reading and starting to buy equipment for the 2015 season. I love the warm natural look of stained wood so I want to stain and seal the outside of my hives. I was watching a video on utube about sealing stained hives with fiberglass resin but he didn't elaberate. What, in your opinion is the best substance to seal and protect the wood of our hives?
    The manufacturer of the cedar wood TBH that I bought recommended using Tung oil as a sealer - which is what I did. It said to "rub it on" but I don't have a lot of patience with that kind of stuff, so I swabbed it on with a paint brush. The cedar looks beautiful, of course, but do the bees care? Nah. My other TBH is pine and I used something different called SoyaSeal, a soy based sealer. The Soya is supposed to be ok for exteriors but frankly, it's not holding up that well, and it's only been on since April of this year (same as the Tung oil on the cedar hive). Thomson Exterior Wood Sealer was what was recommended by the carpenter beek who built the pine hive - I should have listened. At any rate, that's what he uses.
    Just remember, whichever you choose, only paint/stain the part of the hive that is visible to the eye when it is all assembled - so no painting anything on the inside, just the exterior that will be exposed to the elements.

After some thought. Fiberglass was a little bite out of the box. Most people would fine it very challenging to work with. But I do see it as doAble. Tung oil has no or very little uv protection witch is why it is falling. Thompson in the old days was just mineral spirits and wax witch is why deck barely made it a year before falling. I have seen Sikins last 5 year if done right before it need a maintenance coat. Most finish will fall after a year because of UV rays.
    David

Thanks guys I have tried to Google Sikins but it only wants to change the search to skins. Can someone give me the full name or a link to where I can get some Please?

I think the name is Sikkens and you can see it on the Home Depot web site.
    Dan Boylan, When it doubt "It's mites".

A speller I am not. Your local PPG paint store should have it.

I have used Sikkens starting this season. Purchased at Home Depot for $42 per gallon. So far I am very pleased with the results! I'll see how it holds up in future years, but so far I'm impressed! I clear coated some of my boxes last year with Helmsman Marine Spar Poly, & after only 1 year of use it is peeling & the wood is starting to gray!
    I coated some boxes this year with a second coat of Sikkens & left them outside overnight to dry suspended on a 2 X 4. Over night it had rained & the hand holds on the boxes were full of water. I pulled the boxes off of the 2 X 4 & the water just slid off of the handholds, no seepage into the wood at all! Needless to say I was impressed. It's Sikkens for me on all clear coated outdoor projects!
    Marvin