Thread: Wax Moth Larva

Default Wax Moth Larva

Newbie, 8 Frame deeps. North Georgia Piedmont area. Beefy nuc from about a month ago with loads of activity in and out. They were filling up the outside frames well and the other nuc (not as beefy) swarmed so I added a second deep to this one. Caught the swarm by the way, with help from an experienced beek.
    So anyway, We had a 3 day run of very cold temps so I closed the bottoms. When the cold was over, I pulled the plastic inserts and out came a big grey larva. Pretty sure it was a wax moth. Inspected today and found plenty of comb in the upper deep with uncapped honey in arcs and open comb inside that (waiting for the queen to fill them with eggs?) I also saw a drone and a handful of supercedure cells; open with larvae inside.
    I'm writing all this in case someone has any thoughts in general but my real question is: Can I pull off the upper deep and inspect the lower one for queen/eggs/brood as well as wax moth? Do I just smoke them and put them on a spare bottom board or something else? Is this a bad time to do it?

Default Re: Wax Moth Larva

Yes, do exactly as you say. Either put something on the ground to put the super on while you inspect the lower one, or else put the super on the ground on it's end, not on it's side.

The normal procedure is before opening the hive give them a smoke at the entrance. Then take the lid off and smoke the top of the hive. Then put your hive tool between the two boxes and prise them apart. Puff some smoke between the two boxes, then lift the top box off, putting it on something, or else on it's end on the ground. You may then inspect the whole hive.

Re the wax moth, you describe it as big, so it's likely a greater wax moth. Long as the hive is strong it will deal with wax moths, but a weak hive, or one with unprotected comb, can be overun by them. No need to panic most hives get the odd wax moth hanging around.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Default Re: Wax Moth Larva

Thanks!