Thread: Candy board

Default Candy board

Do the bees just consume candy/fondant? Or is it possibe for them to store it in the comb?

Thanks

Default Re: Candy board

Bees CAN and SOMETIMES do store it, but usually they just consume it when they need it.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thanks for getting back with me.

There is so much good infor on this forum and at your web page, I am almost at a lost at what to do!

My overwintered colony is doing well, the bottom hive body (deep) is filled out, and the top deep is filling out (about 4-5 frames of brood). I looked in the outer frames, and they are starting to store some nectar (from dandelions I presume). They are still feeding on candy board (just above top hive body).
    >> I am wondering if there is any harm in putting on a honey super (medium with no comb, just foundation) now to try to get them to put the nectar in the super? It is supposed to be warm up this week (in the 60s) and I want to get ahead of major nectar coming in to prevent back-filling and crowding the queen's egglaying.
    >> can I leave the candy board in and put a honey super (above or below?)??

Thanks,
    Shawn

Unless there is a reason to feed, you can take the candy board off when they start storing nectar.

Certainly, if you want honey in you super, you cannot feed anything while they are filling it, else they will fill it up with sugar syrup instead of nectar, not quite the same thing.

Wait to add a super of foundation until they have drawn out the second deep and it's full of bees. You should probably feed them syrup until they do, it's better than a candy board since it tends to stimulate the queen to lay more. Some pollen supplement might not be a bad idea, either.

Once they have syrup or honey stored in the outside frames, quit feeding and add your super. This may happen in the next month, may not happen at all this year, depending on what the weather is like and what forage is available. You'll have a better idea for next year.

At any rate, they will stay put and make more bees so long as they aren't short of space.

Peter