Default making up mating nucs

I will need to make up some mating nucs shortly, what I am using is a five frame medium nuc box that I have divided in half so that each mating nuc will have two frames. The entrances face opposite ways on the bottom board. What is the best way to provision each two frame nuc? Two frames of brood with a feeder on top, one frame of brood and one of food, what type of brood, any extra shakes of bees? I don't have alot of extra resources to devote to these mating nucs in terms of brood and bees, don't want to hurt the donor hives honey production either, so I really just want to give them the minimum to do the job. Thanks, John.

Default Re: making up mating nucs

Mine are all two medium frames. I put in a frame of brood and a frame of honey and an extra shake of bees. Mixed brood is probably best. Open brood tends to anchor them better and emerging brood tends to populate them better. I don't really lose too much sleep over which, but mixed would be best.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Don't be too stingy or it can all be a waste. I suspect most of the mating nuc problems that I have had were caused by making them too weak. It isn't good economy if they aren't strong enough to do the job.

I made some of mine stingy doh! Lesson learned. Gotta have enough bees to keep things warm AND keep things going.

I won't be stingy then, a frame of brood and one of food with plenty of extra bees it shall be. Thanks.