Thread: My New Bee-Vac

Default My New Bee-Vac

OK, I guess this is the best place for this, I was debating between here & "Equipment Review"....

Anywise, I designed & built a new bee-vac, used it for the first time on a 30' high hive in a church's roof, and it worked GREAT! A few people I mentioned it to in chat asked me to post directions for building it, so I created a new page on my site that's devoted to the vac: The Hercules MarkII Bee-Vac
    NOTE: The page is most definitely not complete yet; there are a few pics & drawings up, and I added some vague documentation late last night... However, I am planning to build a couple more of these in the next several days, so I'll be trying to take plenty of photos. I'll be adding the new construction photos, and more detailed instructions to that page as time permits (so if you're confused, check back every few days & I'll try to make it clearer )

Default Re: My New Bee-Vac

Looks pretty cool looking forward to more posts and pics on it.

Is there any ventilation for the bees in the box after they have been vacuumed?

Greg-
    The screen allows them ventilation through the vaccuum hose hole (remove the hose when you're done vaccuuming); and the "trap door" over the bee-hose hole has somewhere around twenty 9/64" holes drilled for ventilation. The 6-7lbs of bees from this cut-out were able to ventilate it sufficiently for themselves for about 36hrs, though it did get pretty warm, and I did spray some 1:1 in there so they'd have something to evaporate to keep cool (they lowered the temperature several degrees after I did that). That said, for the next one I'm defo. going to find a way to make the "trap door" a LOT more "open"...prob. screen over the entire opening, with some form of spring-closed frame holding it in place.

Kamon-
    Thanks, I'll be working on the next one (to take pics of the construction process) as soon as I can...if my phone will ever stop ringing with ppl wanting removals done