Default Entrance reducer & SHB

About a month ago after I assembled my new hives I set them outside the garage. Well a swarm arrived! I became a bee keeper sooner than I expected. After about a week in the hive I took the entrance reducer out cause I thought it looked crowded. So after doing some reading I think that was a mistake. Now I am seeing hive beetles. I have put in a beetle trap but have not seen any in the trap.

the quesion: Should I or can I put the entrance reducer back in will it help with the hive beetle and make the hive stronger?

PS two weeks ago another swarm should up in a other hive I had setting out. What luck - I also took the reducer out - should I put back in also

Thanks

Default Re: Entrance reducer & SHB

I am just starting too, but I'd just put a small board covering half of the entrance. More than the reducer but less than all of it. Just a thought. I'd also look at them and see what side, if either, that they prefer and leave that side open. If neither, I'd leave the south east side open.
    Disclaimer: I know enough to know I don't know anything yet.

Your reduced means nothing to the beetles. Normaly with only one have around and a good population leave it open. if its a week hive then a small opening is better, or if you have a lot of hives around.

Beetles,,, AGGGGG they are a pain.
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 04-27-2012 at 06:44 PM. Reason: UNQ

Quote Originally Posted by gmcharlie View Post
    ... Beetles,,, AGGGGG they are a pain.
    More than one or two beeks here run year round reducers that restrict the hive entrance to say 4 inches wide by 3/8ths inches high.

Some bee strains even use propolis to daub up a large entrance to a similarly small area
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

skater that was a really early swarm for your neck of the woods,you may have a lucky streak going.theres no escaping the hive beetle anymore,and my luck with the traps was so bad i quit using them,just be ready to kill a couple every time u open the hive,unless the swarm seems weak or small,i would leave entrance open pretty wide,since everything seems to be in bloom warm days = massive foraging