Hybrid View

Default Top bar hive entrance front or side?

Which one is better front or side entrance to the top bar hive? With building a top bar hive and having front entrance do you still need to make dividers for the front and back or just the back? Also how do you feed the bees do you just stick jar of surger water and set it inside or does it need to be mounted inside?

Default Re: Top bar hive entrance front or side?

total newbeee here.....I don't know much and have only one hive I started last year.

on the feeding.....I just put the jar of sugar water right behind the cluster after I installed em last year. Since then I haven't fed them again.

I have a friend that also started a hive the same time as I did with a tbh and he had the wind blow over his hive during the winter cus a board of plywood pushed up against his hive.......anyhow, he had a mess of broken comb and ended up harvesting a lot of stores.......just a week ago we looked at em and they were totally empty on the stores and we put in a jar of sugar water inside right behind the last comb......they really wanted something to eat cus they marched right to it.

I like to use a side entrance but place it towards either end rather than the center of the hive. With a front entrance you would only need one follower board, another reason that I like the additional flexibility that the side entrance offers (a bit easier to work from either end). For feeding syrup I have a spare follower board with a notch cut into the bottom of it that allows me to slide an entrance feeder into it. That way I can monitor the syrup level through the window and swap it out as needed without removing bars or disturbing the bees.

I just use a top entrance. I simply leave a 1/2 space between the end of the hive and the first top bar and my lid is such that the bees have no problems streaming in and out. Also I haven't put any unwanted holes in my hives that I might regret later on

Cheers

Not front or side, but top.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Somebody on the Internet pointed out that if you are using side entrance, than mites from top part of the hive may accumulate at the entrance since bottom part of the hive is narrower than top. The idea is that side walls in TB are tilted and mites when fell, could "roll" down on the tilted wall and ended up at the entrance instead the bottom screen. When I built my TB (I prefer to call it Kenyan hive), I did not think about this and made nice side entrance close to one side. So, from this prospective, it looks like front entrance is better... Technically, there is not much difference between front entrance and side entrance if it is at the side. Some people drill a bunch of vine cork size holes everywhere and close unused entrances with vine corks... quite universal solution... Sergey

Some of the master beekeepers around here did an experiment. They put an entrance on the side at one end, and on the end. The bees preferred the one on the side. Now they always put them on the side. I have started just using top entrances, so I don't have to worry about entrances. Just slide the first bar over and it is done. So simple. The same beekeepers say putting an entrance in the middle of the side is unmanageable and suggest it never be done.

Ted

I use a front and top. Don’t like side because that is where I am standing.

Just as a side note, I also started to use standard lang frames for a multitude of reasons and they have been doing great. I will try and get some pictures of my design on the site before long.
    Experience is better than theory.