Thread: Entrance

Default Entrance

First of all I would like to thank everyone for answer my question, they have help a lot. My question today is should I make the entrance smaller? The there is nothing to keep any other insect out. If so how big shoud it be, and where do I fine what I need?

Al

Default Re: Entrance

A little more info about the hive(s) is needed. If it's weak or new, then yes. If it's established with lots of bees probably not. Any piece of wood will do. Just put it in front of the entrance to block as much as you think.

cancelled

Thanks it's a new hive, will do.

For a new package hive of any sort, an entrance that's wide enough for "a bee at a time, maybe two" to pass through would be just fine. In the wild, bee entrances can be quite small indeed ... and an entire swarm can pour out of them faster than you can possibly imagine. My TBH has one entrance right now that's the size of one wine-bottle cork. (The girls managed to find a second top entrance which for now I subsequently closed.) A small entrance has the advantage perhaps that the guards can easily defend it, which is especially nice during the first 30-odd days when a package (which literally starts with nothing...) is getting started.

When I watch them, I can see the guards just inside (and/or, just outside) seeming to check every single bee that goes in or out. Sometimes there's a little "pile up" of bees who'll land on the board and seem to take their turns going through the hole. I have three cork-holes drilled and in time I'll probably open more. (Or not ...)

Mrobinson
    When you are talking about "little "pile" of bees" at the landing deck - are they guards? My Kenyan hive swarmed recently (was not expected) and now in "recovery" mode. I made entrance as small as possible and now observe these "small piles of bees" at the landing desk. Should I make entrance bigger? Anything I should worry about? Many thanks, Sergey