Default Top Feeder, Mold

First year, first package ... I currently have a screened bottom w/ IPM board in place, deep body, top feeder, inner cover, cover.

In the feeder I put a 1:1 sugar solution. This morning I checked the feeder and the inner cover was covered in a variety of molds.

Now, the top feeder is this one:

https://kelleybees.com/Products/Deta...31333433313330

The screen in the middle keeps the bees from just diving into the sugar and drowning. I had originally had the outer cover propped open for ventilation but of course the bees went in that way and drowned in the feeder (lots and lots of them). So, I removed that. The inner cover doesn't have a notch, so it isn't helping for ventilation ... actually I don't think I need it in there at all, but the mold problem would just move to the outer cover I am sure. I would guess I need more ventilation. So, what is the best approach?

I could remove the screen and put together some floats for the feeder instead ...then I could prop the outer cover.
    I could place a screen over the inner cover hole and prop the outer cover, thus preventing access to the feeder from the outside.

6 of 1, half dozen of the other? Or something else I should be considering?

Default Re: Top Feeder, Mold

I have feeders that I stapled window screen across the tops of to prevent bees from entering. In the fall it's quick and easy to pop the covers and pour the syrup through the screen.

I have also attached polyester "batting" material to the underside of an outer cover. That actually work well at keeping bees out.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Ah, I like the idea of stapling screen across the top of the feeder itself!

Quote Originally Posted by BeeCurious View Post
    I have feeders that I stapled window screen across the tops of to prevent bees from entering. In the fall it's quick and easy to pop the covers and pour the syrup through the screen.

I have also attached polyester "batting" material to the underside of an outer cover. That actually work well at keeping bees out.
    Two issues here, the bee Drownings are typical, I have found (100 hives normaly) that some hives will do well and some hives just can't swim. pretty much no mater what feeder. I only use divisin boad feeders made from pressed hardboard (no plastic or floats) and that helps a lot. But with any feeder the trick is to fill it with grass or pine needles. what happens is the beers get wet and sticky and cant get up to clean off. a cpl handfulls of dry grass will do the trick.

As for mold, clean it off and you can add a tsp of viniger to a gallon of water/feed to help stop that. or increase airflow over the feeder.

I don't think you need the inner cover over the top feeder. That could be trapping moisture, hence the mold. You might want to try laying popsicle stick across the top edges of the feeder to create a bit of space between it and the outer cover for circulation. But less than bee space to prevent robbing.