Thread: One more clip..

Hybrid View

Default One more clip..

This is a small clip from my project... Hope you guys like it..

http://youtu.be/Kv4Nswctmpo

Default Re: One more clip..

If being in too big a box demoralizes bees, why do small bait swarms move into big boxes?

Good question. I've had small swarms the size of a softball move into a 10 frame medium. I guess their self esteem was so low they wanted to punish themselves.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

Odfrank You would have to ask Don, I am actually starting out myself but from what I understand he has been a beekeeper for quite a long time, quite respected and from what I understand his students do very well... I have seen something similar with top bar hive keepers. There have seen a few video's on youtube where they have said when setting up a top bar hive for the first time to use your divider boards and only provide 5 to 6 frames for the bee's to build on at first and then add more a little at a time.

Charlie, from what I have read from bush and various others is that a Swarm is in a completely different mindset than an already established hive or say if you are splitting one. Also again from what I have read Swarms can draw comb several times faster. So I would assume that would be the difference.

Not trying to argue Naymond, I love the Fat Beeman's videos and I think you're in good hands with him. This is just a new term I've never heard of, "demoralizing"?

Hey Don, explain how/why you came up with this?
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

Oh I don't think you were arguing. Heheheheh the world would be a boring place without a little humor. I was just saying that was the only difference I could think of. I will definitely ask him tomorrow though because I wondered the same thing, I have a four hour drive to finish up my shot list and make sure I can cover as many subjects as I can think of.

If he doesn't answer soon I will make sure to get him to explain it all on the video. I was hoping to be able to shoot saturday AND sunday but I had forgotten that my daughter has a school band concert on sunday so I will have to just video tape him from morning til night. I know he wants to cover a lot of stuff so it will be interesting to see how it all goes. I am taking a tripod with me this time too.