Thread: inner cover

Default inner cover

NEW BEE - I trying a top feeder with a screen in the middle and suger water in the trays. Do I put the inner cover on top on the feeder?
    thanks

Default Re: inner cover

It's a 50/50 on that. I like putting the jars on top of the inner cover and then a box around that and then the outer cover.
    Disclaimer: I know enough to know I don't know anything yet.

yes - remember the inner cover's job is to let you take of the telescoping cover easily. The bees can "glue down" the inner cover and you can get that off with your hive tool. A telescoping cover would be way tough to remove if it ever got glued down.

I do not put the inner cover on over a hive top feeder of the type you are describing. The bees are confined and cannot get to the telescoping cover to propolis it down. Plus if you inner cover is the type with a notch it gives access to bees (your and others) to the syrup which can cause robbing and or lot-o-drowned bees.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

Thanks - I really did know what the inner cover was for - Now I do........
    I learn a little every day. amazing stuff

Most inner covers in recent years have a notch. It is very important that that notch does not let bees into the inside of the feeder. i would leave it off, but if you put it on either slide the telescopic back or do something to block entrance to the top of the feeder.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF