Default Swarm Trap Questions

My first ever swarm trapped. In a 5 frame D Cotes nuc I made and baited with LGO and one frame of comb and 2 foundationless or starter strips. Placed in a tree 10 ft up about 75 yards from a bee tree that the hive is 30 ft high, you can see the comb and bees in the hive, it is several year old hive.

How long after a swarm moves in a trap should you move them?

If there is a drawn frame when will the queen lay? and if no drawn frame? (I have some of both)

How long before they make their first foundation less frame?

My plan is the leave them there for a few days to get settled, then move them and replace the trap, I still have 2 more trap near that tree, 100, 125 yard. This was the closest trap to that tree.

Default Re: Swarm Trap Questions

Congratulations that is so cool!
    I would not be in a hurry to move them as long as you have frames in the trap. If the queen that has moved in lays eggs in a few days then they will have brood to defend and they will stick with that trap. You can move it, in the next couple of weeks at your leisure, but in the evening when all the bees are inside.

Believe me if there are scouts leaving the feral hive they know about your other traps at 125 yards already!

Congrats on your first swarm...exciting isn't it?!

1) For a prime (old queen) swarm, she may lay as soon as mere minutes after landing in the new hive, assuming there's drawn comb for her to lay in. For afterswarms (virgin queens), you're looking at 10-14 days, on average, before they start laying eggs.

2) I'd try to leave them in place for 4-5 days after I anticipate the first eggs were lain...that way there will most likely be some open brood for them to protect.

3) I hived a swarm (I'm guessing 7-8lbs) one week ago; they now have drawn the equivalent of 9 full deep frames in my TBH!

Thanks for the replies