Default honey in swarm traps?

I am putting up a couple used 5 frame nucs for swarm traps and was going to put in a frame of honey along with 2 frames of comb frames and 2 wax coated plastic foundation frames. Is it wise to use the honey frames or am I inviting trouble or wasting those frames? Any advice is appreciated.

Default Re: honey in swarm traps?

Just my opinion but you'd be wasting those honey frames. You'll attract foragers instead of scouts looking for a new home. I'd stick to comb and lemon grass oil. Save the honey frames until after the capture and put one in each new hive.
    Last edited by Charlie B; 04-26-2012 at 11:29 AM.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

bad plan.... The ants will certainly find it as well. Then a swarm will NOT move in.

The honey won't last long enough to do any good. It will be robbed out by every bee and every other insect in short order.

Go with a brood comb or two, and a frame or two of foundation to give them something to draw on so they won't start dropping comb if you don't find them for a few days after they move in. Three or four drops Lemon Grass Oil helps also.

cchoganjr

LOL well, its a moot point now. While setting up to put up my traps, I went out and saw bees everywhere and saw them gathering in a wild honeysuckle that i had caught a swarm last yr. By the time I grabed my equipment, they were gone, but I heard them. They were about 50 yards away. Ran and got the nuc, set it up on a ladder and did the ole shake the branch deal. Looking good for now, I put in a frame of honey to give them a reason to stay. I will wait til tonight, shut up the entrance and take them to another apiary I have tomorrow morning. Keeping my fingers crossed.