Default duck dynasty bees

So last night on Duck Dynasty they were attempting to gather honey from a hive. A few things disturb me about this episode. First of all this hive was hanging from a tree limb not inside a hollow tree. I didnt think bees would just build comb outside and attempt to build a colony with no protection. Secondly when they actually did capture the colony the guy had a smoker and hive body to put it in. Its not like people just have smokers and hive bodies around unless they are beekeepers. Anyone else watch this?

Default Re: duck dynasty bees

I did not see it, but I know it's not uncommon for bees to build free hanging hives that thrive in areas that do not recieve cold winters. I think they are located in the bayou of La, right?

As I understand it, ocassionally swarms will not be able to come to a consensus on where to go even given days to do so, at which point comb starts being drawn right where they sit and that becomes home. Up north this means certain death over the the winter. In the south I think winter cold may not be as much of an issue but certainly any kind of other bad weather could get them, not to mention predators.

I remember capturing a hive like that. It was hanging down from the limb of a big tree... maybe 6 slabs of comb.. really a pretty big hive. I took the comb and wired it into some empty frame and the hive really took off... and if I remember correctly this was early sept. It turned into quite a strong hive.... believe it is still out there in one of the bee yards. I have no idea how old it was... probably just that season... but they might well survive the winter in in Coastal NC... or maybe not.
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

I saw it. Yes, bees will build out like that. I couldn't tell you how they come to that conclusion though ; )

In the southern US they are able to make it through winter potentially.

Either the guy is or was a beekeeper. He clearly knew more than the other guys attempting to get at it.

My favorite line was "Somebody told me that bees don't sting at night"... Boy, for a bunch of rich guys they sure don't know much about GOOGLE.

yea i think mine are way more hateful at night...they KNOW something shouldnt be messing with them after dark! Maybe they are like my wife....hummm

I saw a minute of that crap.TV drama like the rest of that drama/reality stuff. Sad like to teach young people science not drama.Since I was a very young kid always seperated fake from fact. Would much rather see a good educational on bees than a bunch of wealthy people acting like children.

That entire show is so staged. So far from "reality TV" - they need better writers.

YEP! Agree

in the night with the flashlight and dark camo-pants, you knew it wasn't going to go down well

Quote Originally Posted by justinh83 View Post
    I saw it. Yes, bees will build out like that. I couldn't tell you how they come to that conclusion though ; )

In the southern US they are able to make it through winter potentially.

Either the guy is or was a beekeeper. He clearly knew more than the other guys attempting to get at it.

My favorite line was "Somebody told me that bees don't sting at night"... Boy, for a bunch of rich guys they sure don't know much about GOOGLE.

I think the old guy had a beekeeping body, because he came home with jars of honey. No way to extract honey that fast from wild comb. So I think he went, got the equipment, captures the hive, and traded it back for honey. I still liked the show. Much better then billy the moron.
    Klamath Basin Beekeepers Association: www.klamathbeekeepers.org
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/kbbafb/

I found this one last November in central Arkansas... cut it down and it is thriving now in my apiary!

here's another shot of how it looked:

this was found in between Mulberry and Dyer near Dyer Lake