Default More Crappy Weather for New Packages

I am picking up two new packages tonight, to replace the packages that died on me over the last couple weeks. Now it looks like 50 degrees for highs and rain the next two days. Someone had suggested that I should install the packages late in the day so the bees stay put in the hives.......is that a good idea with the cool weather coming?

Default Re: More Crappy Weather for New Packages

I would get them in before the rain if I could. Later in the day works for me too. Keeps them in the boxes. Put them in when you get them home and make sure they have something to eat.

I am picking them up tonight, but won't be to my hives until 1:00 PM tomorrow afternoon. So should I wait until 6-7 PM to install them tomorrow night?

I wouldn't worry about it then. Put them in as soon as you can. I've done it in the middle of the day too, just had more drift that way. I wouldn't put the packages too close together overnight that way I could keep the smells separate.

Good idea, I will keep them apart. Last time I kept them about 1 foot apart, but I am looking to eliminate anything that could have caused issues with my last try.

leonard,i have kept bee pkgs in my garage for 2to3 days because of weather,i also installed bees in garage once because of rain and carried it out to bee yard,just used plenty of sugar water to keep the girls from flying to bad.

I sprayed them a little with my last packages, so I am going to try it without any spray this time. I'm trying to eliminate anything that could have caused them problems last time.

Leonard, Just out of curiosity can I ask where you are getting your packages near Ankeny? The nearest to Davenport supplier that was reasonable was out of Linnville.
    Thanks.

Spring Valley Honey Farm in Perry, Iowa. $75 for 3 lbs and either a Carnolian or Italian Queen.

Leonard,
    Just my opinion. but I would spray them a LOT, especially if I wasn't going to install them immediately. Not only does it feed them, but it prevents them from flying too much. Just use boiled water and regular white sugar mixed 1:1. Don't put other stuff in it like you did before, and you shouldn't have a problem. The package I installed a couple of weeks ago was kind of cranky, to say the least, because I didn't spray them enough. They had used up all their feed from the feeder can, and they were hungry and UN-happy. They also flew around a lot at first. I fed them and they settled down good.
    I was reading in another post recently that the guy put each unopened package into the hive body it was going to be installed in for a while before he installed them so as to get their smell in the hive, and prevent drifting, etc. It sounded like a good idea to me. Might be worth a try if you've got the time. You said you've got extra boxes, so maybe you could put each package in a box overnight, then take the boxes with you and replace the boxes that are already there with these new boxes, before you install.
    I hope you have better luck this time than you did last time. Keep us posted.

Its going to be 55 degrees, windy and cloudy today. I am concerned that they will get too cold if I spray them. I would rather have some flying around.

I wouldn't spray them. They'll be fine in that weather. Don't forget food!

Yes, I have the Mann Lake 2 gallon top feeders with the screen. I stopped and bought 4 gallons of distilled water, so there would be no question on the water purity.

40 mph wind today. I may take your advice Albatross and put the whole package in a brood box overnight so they get a little used to it and the smell. Sure can't hurt!