Default I see many bees head first deep inside cells... What are they doing?

I checked my hive this afternoon. I tried to find the queen but didn't see her. I noticed quite a few bees buried deep in the cells. They look like bees in a starved out hive but the bees are alive. I'm feeding a 2:1 sugar syrup. The queen has not stated laying yet and I thought these bees had rejected her. Are the bees cleaning these cells in preparation for the queen to lay eggs?

Default Re: I see many bees head first deep inside cells... What are they doing?

Sounds like they are taking a nap.

Default Re: I see many bees head first deep inside cells... What are they doing?

Bees do many things head first. Here's a brief list: feed larva, process nectar (or sugar water), clean cells, and starve. Assuming they are healthy, I'd say its likely that they are doing all of the first three in that list.

If you are smoking them they are gorging theirselves with honey.

Resting, making heat, feeding larvae, cleaning cells, smoke or no smoke, when you open the hive a lot will be gorging on honey just in case...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF