Thread: Wax Moth

Myrtle Beach, SC, USA

Default Wax Moth

I keep old comb in a coffee can. Today I opened one up that has not been open in almost a year, and there was a moth flying around, with larve. How long can these things live like that? It seems like it should have been out of oxegyn. The lid closed tight.
    Please visit my page, Thanks

Calhoun Co, Texas, USA

Default Re: Wax Moth

I'm not sure on how long they can survive with limited oxygen, but just a few insects like that don't use up much air; however, they do use up a bit of water, so I'd be suspicious that it wasn't properly sealed, and the moth got in FAR more recently than a year ago.
    Also, if you're really concerned with being able to store your old comb without WM getting to it, a set of vaccuum storage canisters may be just what the dr. ordered...I don't expect that any WM or larvae could survive the partial vaccuum for more than a few seconds.

Nehawka, Nebraska USA

Default Re: Wax Moth

I've found a bucket full of cappings gone to webs that was full of cappings and no moths that I knew of and no air for a year or more. I've even seen them on solid blocks of wax and the edges of a box of foundation. It's my fault for putting sticky boxes in the basement once and they all went to moths and I've had a basement full for a decade since then... and I haven't put anything there lately that I think they could even live on...
    Michael Bush "Everything works if you let it." 41y 200h 38yTF