Default Hive Top Enterence

I decided to try the hive top enterence's on my hives. I put it under the hive top feeder.
    015 (800x600).jpg
    But I also left the bottom open to the smallest opening.
    016 (800x600).jpg
    How long do you think it will take the bee's to start using it. Or will they not since I left a opening at the bottom. I now there are some bee's at the top enterence now, but they are not field bee's.
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

Default Re: Hive Top Enterence

My colony likes to use the upper entrance--I just have a drilled hole on the upper hive body (deep). I think they will use it at their convenience. I am guessing as your colony expands, especially if you have 2 brood boxes, you'll see them using the upper entrance, as well as the standard entrance. They are pretty practical animals.

Close the bottom entrance for a week or so and they will then continue to use the top entrance.

Matthew Davey

I checked today its only been 24 hrs, they are still using the bottom. The top is loaded with guards.
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

If you close the bottom they will use the top. It will still take them several days to stop landing at the bottom and walking up.

Just about the same amount of time it will take to begin seeing nectar stored in the bottom and drone brood in the supers. That was my experience, maybe yours will be different.