Default I have brood....good news

I was inspecting my kenyan box and saw brood. If I could only get the **** bees to grow comb straight.

progress.

Default Re: I have brood....good news

Hey, Leon
    What comb guides on the top bars do you use?

One bad comb leads to another. You need to build some frames, cut the comb out and tie it straight. One good comb also leads to another. Combs are parallel...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

only guide is a flat piece of wood 1/16th of an inch lengthwise.

1/16 thick, or 1/16 tall? if it only hangs down 1/16, then that's not nearly enough...I think the "rule of thumb" is that it need to hang down at least 1/4" to be effective. I use 1/16"-1/8"x3/4" strips for comb guides myself...saw a 1/8"x1/4" kerf down the middle of the bar, then tack 'em in...leaves about 1/2" of comb guide hanging down. So far, my bees are building nice, straight combs on them.

Yes, I consider 1/4" to be minimal but it will work. 1/2" wouldn't hurt my feelings...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

1/2" down, 1/16th thick.

funny story...I was inspecting the hive, without a suit of course. this bee lands on my cheek. I have a knife in the left hand and a bar in the right. obviously the one with the queen from the swarms displeasure. I get tired of trying to blow the bee off. I then smack him with the left hand. I give myself a shiner. classic.

Quote Originally Posted by leonphelps View Post
    1/2" down, 1/16th thick.

funny story...I was inspecting the hive, without a suit of course. this bee lands on my cheek. I have a knife in the left hand and a bar in the right. obviously the one with the queen from the swarms displeasure. I get tired of trying to blow the bee off. I then smack him with the left hand. I give myself a shiner. classic.
    While I was reading this, I was thinking you were gona say you poked your face with the knife.
    Yeah, veils come in handy for just such emergencies.
    My son was wanting to document everything about our hives last year.
    He wears solid black, shiney Oakley sunglasses. His camera is solid black and shiney. He went in close to get
    a video of the activity at the enterance, and one guard bee flew out without any warning, landed on his forehead
    and stung the crap out of him. His face swelled up and looked like he just finished a title match with a pro. boxer.