Default Mouse Guard question?

New beekeeper here and have a question about using a mouse guard. We just installed our first bee package.
    We have a bent length of 1/4 inch wire cloth that runs the length of the hive opening on the bottom landing board
    used as a mouse guard. We have a set up that has one hive body, a centerboard with a pail feeder that is elevated (3/8 inch shim)
    over the hole in center of inner cover and then another hive body over that. My question is.... the bees
    enter and exit through the wire mouse guard.... but it seems many more bees are entering through the small opening that
    is in the centerboard, which leads them above the center board into the hive body with the feeder pail. Does this sound
    typical? I'm wondering if they don't like maneuvering through the wire of the mouse guard... or if they are doing some activity
    in the upper hive with the pail feeder? I'm going to go into the hive tomorrow to see what's going on in there, replace their
    sugar syrup and make sure the queen has left her little box (which is in the lower hive body between the frames...
    but any words of wisdom about their using that little opening
    in the center board as opposed to the main opening where the wire mouse guard is.

Thank you.

Default Re: Mouse Guard question?

Since you are feeding a newly installed package I would close the notch in the inner cover to protect them from robbing. I use steel wool for such jobs. Once the weather warms where the bees brake cluster you can remove the mouse guard.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

Thanks for the reply.
    What is meant by "breaking cluster"?
    Also, as the weather warms and I remove the mouse guard, would the steel wool also be removed, or does that get left in?
    Also... when the mouse guard is removed, do you use an entrance reducer... or by that time maybe the colony will be strong enough
    to not require a reducer....
    new with all of this so thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by NasalSponge View Post
    Since you are feeding a newly installed package I would close the notch in the inner cover to protect them from robbing. I use steel wool for such jobs. Once the weather warms where the bees brake cluster you can remove the mouse guard.

Bees cluster at temps somewhere below 50 degrees to keep warm, while in cluster is when mice enter the hive and do damage. Once the temp get warm enough that the bees no longer have to cluster they will see to it that the mouse leaves one way or another. As long as you are feeding and the colony is weaker I would leave the upper enterance closed off. You can use an enterance reducer once the mouse gaurd is removed, makes it easier for them to defend the hive until they get strong.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries