Default Transporting Brood question

I have a trap out I am working on (my first) and I will have to transport brood frames about 10 miles. I know you are supposed to add the frames without bees. Should I just shake off the bees and go, or should I stick the frames in a nuc bees and all, and shake them off just prior to putting them in the trap? How long can open brood go without being covered by nurse bees?
    Integrity - Doing the right thing when no one is watching.

Default Re: Transporting Brood question

I shake the bees before you leave the hive they came out of. Put them in a nuc, put them in the floor of your vehicle and run the heater, that has always worked for me.

As Ken rice said, shake the bees off, hang in either a nuc or deep super. If the temperature is above 80 degrees no problem for several hours. If not, as ken rice said, run the car heater. Personally, I like for it to be consistently above 85 degrees to be trappin.

I think too often people try to trap too early in the Spring, and the feral colonies are not built up yet. If bees are still clustering at night, they may very well abandon your brood in the trap and go back to the feral colony. Better trapping if night and day temps are at least 75 degrees to above.

cchoganjr

Thanks guys. Unfortunately the tree the bees are in will be cut in a few weeks to make room for a house. The contractor wanted to try and save the bees if he could.

The tree is a cedar about 18" in diameter, with lots of branch knots about 4 feet above the ground. The entrance is about 18" off the ground, and I can see bee covered comb just inside the entrance. I suspect it is a pretty small cavity and they are getting pretty crowded. It was about 40 degrees the other morning and they were flying pretty heavy. I installed the tunnel today with no problems, and plan to go back before sun up on Friday and put on the trap. I'll probably put the brood frames in on Sun. or Mon. depending on the weather. We'll see how it gos.
    Integrity - Doing the right thing when no one is watching.