Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Anti-bear bee fortress; nearly completed.

Please send a picture or a link of a video to this post of the bears at the bottom moaning because they can't get any honey comb or larvae to eat

Quote Originally Posted by Ozone View Post
    What is a bear dog? Do they work?

Always?
    One of the best Karelian Bear Dog. Used by many

Man I’m jealous.

That is a really awesome fort…

You could add a little hand crank crane arm to help get heaver things up and down. I would pull the 2x4 anti-personal obstacles out of the ground. After you fall through the wire hitting those would really suck. Drive some 10 penny through a 2x4 (like a bed of nails) and screw them into the walls nails out to keep the bears from destroying the walls or trying to climb.

And if the little lady approves of something like that going in next to the house (assuming the 2 of you are not 8 years old) she is super cool.

And if the little lady approves of something like that going in next to the house (assuming the 2 of you are not 8 years old) she is super cool.
    lol.....she is a lot older than 8....old enough to be done with college and have job that makes twice as much as mine, which gives us extra money to build cool things.

THAT...is impressive. :-)

I was envisioning those 2x4's driven into the ground encircling the fortress wrapped with electric barb wire.........motion lights set up on sirens......flash bang cannons.......LOL.....ya get the idea. ;-) ohh I forgot to add.....running outta your house in the middle of the night as the sirens, lights, and flashbangs are going off in your undies holding a shotgun, and releasing the hounds......HA

Very awesome! Keep us posted on how it works for you!

If you wanted you could have all the entrances facing out and have each hive next to the other so you have 75% of the deck to work behind them. Plus you won't have forager bees constantly coming in on all sides. You would have to change feeders to do this but it's just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
    Mostly they are just extremely determined in a kind of stupid way. They will go through far more work than its worth to get food
    Hmmmmmmm kinda like beeks......cool place looks like a straw bale house shaped like a castle in background ??
    Honeydew

cool place looks like a straw bale house shaped like a castle in background ??
    Yup, thats exactly what it is. So far its just one round three story tower that I live in and now the wooden bee tower but I have plans for three more connected towers with an enclosed courtyard.

If yu have five german shepards that chase "beers" then it is no wonder you have to do patrols every twenty minutes. After so many beers the dogs aren't worth much are they.LOL
    Nice bear fort.

don't forget to dip the sharp end of the pungee sticks in the outhouse hole before you use them. we had a bad bear year last year. they skipped the hives and came on the porch for the dog food, and a couple 40 pound boxes of pollen sub. good luck. justin

Just when I was beginning to think I was too obsessive over bees, and that perhaps I was putting too much time into working on hives and traps and whatnot.

Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!

I've got to show this to my disgruntled girlfriend.

Adam

Can't resist..... I have a dollar that says that the bears will eventually get the hives on the tower !! Perhaps not this year, but certainly during next year.

Nice straw bale house. Free stacked or framed? My family (mom and step dad and me) stuccoed them for a few years all over the west coast from Alaska to S. California- natural soil plasters of course. Like the bear fortress too - I hate trying to explain/defend my crazy ideas to people.....it doesn't matter if these things work or not, the best part is creating them.

And do't worry, if I fall off I'll almost certainly get hung up in the barb wire before I hit the ground.
    I would think the bear would laugh at the barbed wire. Nice observation deck. I wonder how much there is to forage in the middle of a pine forest? Seeing as how you have all these nice trees close by, wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to suspend the hives about 10 ft off the ground with cables that you could crank up and down to service.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by EastSideBuzz View Post
    Are you going to add a crane? and a row of archers.
    A moat and a draw bridge seem in order.
    Experience isn't always the best way to learn...You usually get the lesson first...And the instruction afterwards...

Updated pictures showing how it connects to the rest of the house. So far so good as far as bears go but as you can see one of my hives isn't doing so good.

This is an amazing thread. I laughed so hard I forgot about mosquito spray and have tears running down my cheeks. Not at the fort, which is mega cool, but at the responses.

I'd offer to swap you a weasel for your bear, but my weasel isn't nearly this expensive to defeat. I'm down to 5 hens, but haven't lost one in a month. (as long as my darned dog doesn't damage the run I'm good.)
    Time to be a gypsy again, 2014 will be my prep year, my bees want a better area with actual rainfall.

Updated pictures showing how it connects to the rest of the house.
    Now doesn't that give the bears a bridge to your hives?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

When they finish the honey it gives a bridge to your kitchen! I don't think I'd go for the bridge. Just in case.
    Time to be a gypsy again, 2014 will be my prep year, my bees want a better area with actual rainfall.

I'm no bear expert but it looks to me like you still may have to run an electric fence around the top railings of your bee fort.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org