Default Bambeg, Germany Bavaria Bayern

I just moved to Germany and see tons of honey at the market. I've been a bee haver for 30 years in America and would like to meet some local bee keepers and buy some new equipment and bees for my hobby. Any help appreciated,
    John

Default Re: Bambeg, Germany Bavaria Bayern

You mean Bamberg? Look up imkereibedarf (beekeeping equipment) in the local phone book (available from the local post office). Or when driving out in the country, just keep an eye out for small yellow signs in front of (usually) farmhouses saying something like "honig aus eigene imkerei". They're selling their own honey, and see if you can find someone friendly. Be prepared for very friendly, or very standoffish, and just keep trying if no luck. I've been to a small store in Sonthofen, but that's way, way south of you. It was in someone's basement, and they had an extensive stock of beekeeping equipment, including lots of clever-looking devices I couldn't figure out, cheesemaking equipment (big dairy area) and motor drive belts.
    Greg

Thanks Greg, I'll check the contacts you listed out this week and see what I come up with. If you hear of someone that would part with a nuk or three, I'd love to get with them.
    I've seen one bee keeper sign near me in Frensdorf, but the guy is busy getting his crops planted and gets home late. Yep, Bamberg is the stadt, I'm actually in Aptdorf/Vora south of town.

If I have to drive to Sonthofen, I will, but you're right, that's a bit of a haul.

Tcheuss
    John

John, I'm not living in Germany at the moment and don't know any beekeepers, I just visit where my wife's from (Oberstdorf) once or twice a year. I guarantee you there're supplies closer than Sonthofen! I don't even know if they use nukes-- they have different hive sizes, and often do stuff like this quite differently. If you're new to Germany, a suggestion-- when in Germany, do it the German way. Make learning and adopting their methods part of the fun. I did take a little tourist tour of a beekeeper's yards near my wife's home town once-- she has two bee houses, one 150 years old with hives built into the structure like cabinets, and lets them swarm. She puts sprigs of evergreens on posts in a field in front of the hives, and collects the swarms from there. I've seen several bee houses in that area, and in fact never noticed a freestanding hive. Good luck!
    Greg