Default Should I Super or Should I go?

My colony overwintered and has a full lower hive body (deep) and is filling out the upper hive body now (middle 3-4 frames).
    - Dandelions are blooming, but not sure much else. I am in a forested region with no agricultural fields. Lots of pollen coming in.
    -There is still some candy on the candy board I installed in January
    -Should I remove the candy board and put on a honey super? Is it too soon to super? ( To allow them to put incoming nectar into honey super as opposed to filling hive body with honey? I do not have any comb in my honey supers (Just foundation).
    - I want to get ahead of any crowding issues in the brood box.
    - The temps are in the 40s to 60s F during day with night temps ranging from high 20s to 40s (Upper Peninsula of MI).

Thanks

Default Re: Should I Super or Should I go?

Quote Originally Posted by srf_onezero View Post
    My colony overwintered and has a full lower hive body (deep) and is filling out the upper hive body now (middle 3-4 frames).
    - Dandelions are blooming, but not sure much else. I am in a forested region with no agricultural fields. Lots of pollen coming in.
    -There is still some candy on the candy board I installed in January
    -Should I remove the candy board and put on a honey super? Is it too soon to super? ( To allow them to put incoming nectar into honey super as opposed to filling hive body with honey? I do not have any comb in my honey supers (Just foundation).
    - I want to get ahead of any crowding issues in the brood box.
    - The temps are in the 40s to 60s F during day with night temps ranging from high 20s to 40s (Upper Peninsula of MI).

Thanks
    Real eaasy question, how is the population of the hive? if its full of bees and brood super up. if its weak, then leave the food in place.

Is the upper hive body a deep? And are they filling it with brood or honey? If honey, I'd put a brood box between that and the brood nest, for the queen to fill/move into. If filling with brood, time to super. It is good to stay ahead of them, but not too far ahead.
    Regards,
    Steven
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

Both Hive bodies are deeps.
    > When I last inspected (Sunday), the top hive body was full (outer frames were honey)--I didn't pull the center frames--I assumed they were brood. I will have to get back and check for sure. At that time, I looked in the lower hive body and the center frames had brood in them and empty comb in outer frames, so the queen moved to the lower hive body.

> I then reversed the hive bodies so that the full deep was on the bottom and the one that is filling out is now on top. I also left the candy board on.

I am guessing I should remove candy board and get the super on.

move some frames around and open up the brood nest.
    Old Guy in Alabama

My Mentor says that no matter what, if they haven't filled out 3/4 of the frames, don't put any more on. If they put honey in the cells and then need them for brood, they will move the honey. Expecially if there is only foundation and no wax, they will use the honey/candy/syrup to make wax to store. So this is how I'm running my hives at least.
    Disclaimer: I know enough to know I don't know anything yet.

on an overwintered hive the brood boxes should have comb so you can really add a super of foundation anytime you want, even if they dont use it for a few weeks I really dont see any harm in adding a super of foundation early.

Thanks for all the advice.
    I will get in today to inspect the hive. I will see if they are filling with honey vs. brood--especially in the lower hive body that is filled out.

I am guessing I should take off the candy board since there are dandelions out--in order to prevent the bees from back-filling the hive with nectar that will leave less room for the queen to lay eggs.

I'm not familiar with your area, but the transition from needing to feed to needing to super is very dependent upon weather and forage. If there is not enough honey in the hive, and you pull the feed, seems like the bees could still starve.

So, the questions to answer are: Are the bees bringing in and storing honey? How many frames of sealed honey is there? If there is a cold snap, or rain or snow and the bees can't forage, are there enough stores for the bees to survive? If the answers are satisfactory, then it's time to pull the feed, and put on a super. If there is a flow going on, and you have supers of comb, you might even want to put on two supers.
    Regards,
    Steven
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow