Default Aaargh! Nuc supplier backed out

I ordered a nuc from a local guy back in January. They were coming from MS from, according to him, and good supplier. 2 weeks ago he pushed the date from April 14 to April 25. Called again last night to make sure everything was a go for Wed and he told me the supplier backed out on him. He said he was making nucs from package bees from Dadant. I'm not sure I want to spend $130 on a nuc from package bees that have been in the nuc for 2 weeks. Fortunately for me I ordered another nuc from another place that is still going to deliver this weekend.

I do have a line on a cut-out about 45 mins away that is in a garage and should be easy to do. I might just tell the guy to sod off on his package bee nucs. Not really sure what else to do at this point.

Default Re: Aaargh! Nuc supplier backed out

Ya package bees as a nuc is a little depressing, but I guess it still takes the risk out of packages. Good luck!

I also posted on our bee club facebook page looking for somone doing a split that I could buy. I'm not going to pay $130 for a $90 package in a cardboard nuc with someone's old frames.

Mine is delayed a month due to winter losses. Depressing.

Adam

I'm in the same boat as Adam, but that is because we are getting our bees from the same place

It is incredibly depressing. I had just finished building and getting all my equipment ready, and now I have to wait an extra month to get the bees.

You should see if the guy will give you a discount on the packaged nucs.

Try Kevin Spicer . that is where i am getting mine and he said his bees wintered fine.

Ben

Also the Foote Family farm has Bees as well.

Nova scotia of course : )

I e-mailed Kevin to see if he still had bees for sale. I also e-mailed the coop in Cape Breton because I heard they have decent bees. I also e-mailed Joanne asking if there were any beekeepers that still had nucs for sale. I haven't heard back from anybody.

If I could find somewhere that could get me bees earlier, I might end up getting them in addition to the ones I will be now getting in June. I wouldn't mind starting with a couple more hives than originally planned.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiwilager View Post
    ...I might end up getting them in addition to the ones I will be now getting in June. I wouldn't mind starting with a couple more hives than originally planned.

Ah, the sign of obsession creeping in...

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Foster Collins View Post
    Mine is delayed a month due to winter losses. Depressing.

Adam
    What winter?
    Zone 7A - Southern, MA. Elevation 138 ft.
    4 hives: 1 Carniolan/Italian Hybrid, 2 Swarms from that hive and 1 Russian.

Even in a relatively easy winter like this past one for us, we get fluctuations from -5 to 40 with a lot of whipping wind and rain. Wetness and wild fluctuations seems to be the problem more than deep, steady cold.

Adam

I'm kind of surprised to read that. Seems like there were a lot more losses during last years frigid winter.
    Zone 7A - Southern, MA. Elevation 138 ft.
    4 hives: 1 Carniolan/Italian Hybrid, 2 Swarms from that hive and 1 Russian.

130 for a package as a nuc isn't a bad deal. Here you have to pay at least 144 $ for just a package.

Nathan
    Good enough is perfect - Joel Salatin

I called Dadant this morning and they had one lone unclaimed package for pick-up Friday. There is someone local going to pick up her packages and will pick mine up as well. $90. It'll be interesting to see how the package compares to the other nuc that will be here Saturday.

yea I'm going to be looking for split or 2 for my self its going to be my first year next summer and I'm looking forward to it its been way more expensive then i figured so far and i still don't have a smoker or a veil the veil I'm not worried about it but i definitely will be looking into getting a smoker even if its a second hand one i was talking to one one the bee farms in the valley her and its 175$ for a nuc definitely not going to be going that rout so if any one wants t help me out contact me

out of context I'm going to be looking into starting a group to help each other out for example say one person looses his colonies the other members could help in resolving the problem and even perhaps help rebuild hes colonies

If your wanting reliable supply of bees in spring goto aussiepackagebees.com
    We send package bees into Halifax in April

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie View Post
    If your wanting reliable supply of bees in spring goto aussiepackagebees.com
    We send package bees into Halifax in April
    How is this possible ? Our importation laws prohibits any honeybee packages or nucs to be sold to Nova Scotia , all we can do is import queen bees.
    Unless something changed very recently that i didn't hear about.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by DLMKA View Post
    I'm not sure I want to spend $130 on a nuc from package bees that have been in the nuc for 2 weeks.
    So why not order a package???
    Im really not that serious

If he let the queen lay up the nuc for a month to prove her abilities, & the frames are drawn I don't think it would be unethical.
    Otherwise just buy a package.
    Dan