Default No surplus honey

I have a hive that simply will not produce any surplus honey. I started this hive last spring. The hive has requeened itself a couple times so that may have slowed them up some. The hive over wintered great and the box is full. I added a super on top of the hive bodies but after 4 weeks they have not drawn out any comb on the wax coated plastic foundations. The bees are up in the super but just seem to hang out there. Any idea about what's going on. Is there anything I can do to jumpstart them?

Marshall

Default Re: No surplus honey

if your using an excluder might try removing it, might also check the foundation just to make sure it is coated with wax could even try adding more wax if it doesnt have much, but at this point I wouldnt be to concerned as its still early and the hive may be using most of its resources for spring buildup and just not ready to use the super yet.

Sounds like your problems is drawing wax and not storing nectar/honey. You don't mention if you're raising brood in deeps and super with mediums - but one advantage of working everything in mediums - you can move medium brood frames into the new top box where nurse bees are sure to follow (and build more comb in top box). Bees may also spend more time in super if they have a top entrance. Good luck.

Try putting a foundationless frame in there in the middle of the upper box. I bought five new 10 frame hives and started them all with different arrangements of frames in the second story (I typically run three deeps with shallow supers for honey). I went from one end of the spectrum with all drawn frames to the other end with all foundationless. The foundationless hive has drawn out more comb and there is more brood/eggs and nectar in the new comb than the fully drawn one after two weeks. All new hives are in the same location. This year was my foundationless experiment and I think after this I am a believer. It seems to me bees don't like being told how to build and will build faster when they don't have a blueprint (aka foundation). Give it a shot, they will probably choose the foundationless frame. I also learned they like to build drone comb first so you will have to move that frame to the outside of the brood nest once the build it. If you move it all of the way to the outside, they will just keep building drone comb.

I have a hive doing this very thing, not sure why. I moved the second brood deep above the super just to see if it would help by sandwiching it between two full boxes.