Hybrid View

Default Moving down into the lower boxes

I saw a trick in the Heathland German beekeeping videos (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrehD...feature=colike) about adding a couple of small pieces of comb to the hive. The Germans do it so the bees will build the comb in the right orientation in the skep, but it also works great at getting the bees to move into new boxes. I've had 100% success so far. I even had the bees move into a box in the wrong direction. I used a upside down box to install a swarm I caught and before I got back to remove the box the bees had build comb from the bottom up.

Default Re: Moving down into the lower boxes

I just did this same thing this year. I also made a swarm catcher the same way. Just make sure the cell orientation is correct.

cell orientation ... hmmm ... opps

Zonker, when you look at the comb. The cells should be tipped upwards at a slight angle. Thats when you know you have it right. No worrys, bees will make it right.

What's a swarm catcher?

Ole Crackers way of saying swarm trap.

Oh, you were saying something as simple (and important) as make sure the comb is right-side-up in orientation, thought you were getting all fancy and saying make sure the Housel positioning is maintained when adding comb pieces. (Housel ~= combs have a side facing towards brood center with upsidedown Y and side of comb face edge of hive with normal Y at base of cell.)

\/ | \/ | \/ | | \/ | \/ | \/
    | /\ | /\ | /\ /\ | /\ | /\ |

Marked my frames and as I run foundationless plan to keep in right placement and decide if this is crazy or spot on. Even if the Ys don't pan out, not moving frames about, and keeping things closer in that the bees wanted closer in won't be bad.
    Last edited by HiveAtYourHome; 05-21-2012 at 11:04 PM. Reason: spacing on Ys didn't post same as viewed