Default Want to buy NEXT Spring - bees for club puchase in Mid South Region

Our local association has purchased about 50 nucs / packages each spring since we started 2 years ago, and we would like to start shopping now for a producer/dealer who will sell us bees next spring. Somewhat larger purchase may be possible. Variety not important - price just needs to be reasonably competitive. We just need Bees that are healthy, and reasonably gentle, and a businessman that is honest, forthcoming and business like. Willing to pick up within 200 miles or so of Cookeville TN.

Default Re: Want to buy NEXT Spring - bees for club puchase in Mid South Region

David, Will your club consider overwintered nucs with a latter summer raised queen. I overwintered my first nucs this year and sold some to local people. I kept the rest to stock my mating nucs and replenish and grow my production hive numbers. I have the goal of trying to overwinter and sell about 50 or so nucs. My biggest problem this year was getting Mike Studer over to inspect early and that was on April 5. They needed to have been gone a few weeks before then with the weather that we had. Those that got them, got a bargain I thought as they were were really loaded with bees and brood. I sold five medium frame nucs for $95.00 and this was for five frames of brood and bees,not honey and pollen except what was around the edges of the frames.
    I was curious as to if your club would be interested, I might try to work wtih you. Of course that would mean that I would have to overwinter considerable more than just 50.
    Terry Woodard, Dresden,TN