Thread: One hive or two

Default One hive or two

This my frist year beekeeping at first I wanted to start with just one hive to make sure I didn't make too many mistake. This hive is doing so well that was thinking maybe I should get another to see if there is a diffrent in hive. If I do get anothe hive how close should I put the next are do that make a diffrents?

Al

Default Re: One hive or two

Two hives are always better than one! Aside from just having a second hive for comparison purposes, when you have two, resources from one can be used to fix problems with the other one. If you only have one hive, you can't move a frame of eggs to the other hive to deal with a queen problem.

If you haven't seen this site before, there is lots of useful info for you here:
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfaqs.htm#howmanybeginner
    -- Victor Hugo -- "Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.”

Thank the information plus the link I'll save it in my favoties.

Get yourself another one, better yet, get ten more. You can put it right next to the first if you'd like.

I have mine about 2 feet apart is all... sometimes only 18 inches. And yes, the more the merrier!
    Regards,
    Steven
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

I started my first year[2011] with 2 colonies, and lost 1 during the winter. At that survival rate[50%], 1 hive would have left me with no bees at all. I added 2 new packages this year to replace both of them, and the survivor colony may make it yet!

I wanted to start with one also and read somewhere you should start with two to compare. So far I think that was one of the best pieces of advice. Like another poster I lost one hive and had one survive. I was always comparing and learned quite a bit just having an actual visual "oh that is what it is supposed to look like". Adding 2 more this year and looking forward to it. Mine are about 2 feet apart.

Two is better than one. I originally wanted just one. Now I have four! It is a great hobby
    “Everything will be all right in the end... if it's not all right then it's not yet the end”

you said you were afraid to get two for fear of a mistake. go for two as the second can correct one mistake. good luck

Thanks for all the great advice....

Beehives are like mushrooms. You start off with one or two, then there are four, six, ten ...

It's an addictive, engaging hobby that also makes honey! What's not to love?