I had placed one of the flower pot looking traps in the fork of a huge oak a few weeks back, I had placed a swarm lure in the center of the lid and the hole was at the bottom. Tuesday,17th, I heard the swarm in the trap and when I checked it there were bees everywhere, my thoughts were that it was a huge swarm. I decided to wait until they settled down and move them the next evening.
Wednesday, 18th, it rained all day and I left them to their own devices, the paper trap was leaking and I assumed they would leave.
Left Thursday, 19th, for the Charlotte Auto Fair, returned Saturday evening, 21st, and checked the trap, they were working hard, bringing in pollen.
This afternoon I moved them to a new top bar hive of my own design. Put the trap back in place and caught the foragers. Moved them after dark.
The swarm trap was full of comb, not just full but top to bottom, built beautifully on the ridges molded into the top.
There were about 20 capped brood cells at the top of the center comb, brood from egg to 7 days old by the hundreds surrounding the capped brood and continuing down the comb almost to the bottom.
If my math is correct, they actually moved in on or before Saturday the 14th. It was raining, on the 12th and 13th.
The 1st lesson I learned is simple, Check The trap often and Hive the bees as soon as possible. I couldn't salvage any of the brood and the comb was also filled with uncapped honey, nectar and pollen. What a mess.
The 2nd and most important to me, I'll use a NUC or deep hive body with frames for the bees to build on, in the future.
The 3rd lesson was to learn the in 10 or maybe 12 days that a swarm can build out so much comb, all beautifully white, soft and fragile.
I ain't slow, just half fast.