Here is a longer version with more pics: Water Source for Bees
I am a new urban beekeeper in a neighborhood and my neighbor has a pool . . . . .
Thus, it was pretty important to focus on a good water source for the bees (instead of their pool!). I bought a $5 cement mixing tub at Home Depot and placed some rocks and bricks in there . . .no visits . . over the next 3 weeks I tried a few different locations (close and farther away--no visits). I hear the pressure washer next door on the pool deck and know pool-time is getting closer (in Atlanta), thus it is time to do some research.
I found a few good ideas:
- Place a towel across the exposed block/bricks for a"landing pad"
- It seems the "dirtier" the water the better
- Place no closer than 20 feet away
- Bees need roughly about 5 gallons per year per hive
- THE KEY FOR ME: was the suggestion to spray lemon scented Pledge on the ground around the tub (I assume lemongrass oil would work too).
I tried a lot of different things, but by FAR the single best suggestion was lemon scented Pledge.