Default Short term lemongrass lure.

Today I used lemongrass oil to get a diffuse swarm into a box . I found the queen on the ground and popped her in the box.
    More antics with bees....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKpdJ-I6NX8

Richard.

Default Re: Short term lemongrass lure.

Nice video. What kind of box did you use and are their frames in it? It just looks like a plain carboard box that reams of paper come in.

A paved parking lot is NOT a good place for the queen to be walking around!!

What exactly is a diffuse swarm?

Quote Originally Posted by Northwest PA Beekeeper View Post
    I'm gonna say: It's a swarm that's still flying around, making a huge, "diffuse" ball of bees in the air; as opposed to a "resting" swarm where all the bees are clustered together.

Was she on her mating flight? looked like a bunch a drones were around her , i am new and learning so i am just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwest PA Beekeeper View Post

Usually when you meet a swarm it is a tight ball of bees. The queen is in there and all the bees can smell her and stay close. real easy to shake it into a box. In this case they were all up and down branches of the shrub on different leaves and of course the reason was the queen
    was over in a different spot on the road.
    The box I used was just a waxed cardboard nuc box, always have one in the truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazcan View Post
    Was she on her mating flight? looked like a bunch a drones were around her , i am new and learning so i am just wondering.
    Hi Tazcan, no it was unlikely she was on a mating flight, because she had a dot of paint on her back. Normally when you raise a new queen you don't mark her until she has started to lay eggs. The fact that it was a white dot tells me she was last years queen ( years ending in 1 or 6 get a white dot) This years queens will get a yellow dot. The fact that she was marked shows she came from a beekeepers hive and not from a feral hive in a tree or a building. Most of the bees around her were workers.