Default Hive Top Feeder and Comb

I am just starting out. (hives are between 4 weeks and 2 weeks old)

For two new hives, I have the Mann Lake FD110 http://www.mannlakeltd.com/mm5/merch...productInfo/2/ hive top feeder on two hives.

I have not used my inner cover and wonder if I should. All hives put a little bit of comb on the bottom of the feeder, but on one of the hives, they seem to really love it.
    Each week that I check the feed level and the laying status (all three hives are doing well with drawing and laying), I scrape it off. However, this is also the 3# package hive and it really needs to not waste its energy.

Should I use an innder cover below the feeder or just keep on doing what I am doing?

Thanks all. I have learned a lot from these forums and thank you everything.

Default Re: Hive Top Feeder and Comb

As you seen, they just build it again, so I usually just leave any burr comb they build at the bottom of feeders unless it's in the way.

The Mannlake one just violates the bee space, due to the way it is constructed. It could use some modification to prevent that. I have the one from Dadant, which is build differently. The only place I find burr in that one is in the opening going up. It is usually very little and they give up really quick on it once you remove it.
    Klamath Basin Beekeepers Association: www.klamathbeekeepers.org
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/kbbafb/

I wouldn't leave the comb either, it could make a mess of things later. I agree with Katharina on the bee space issue.

I just started using one this year. When I got it and looked it over I was also wondering what would stop the bees from building comb on it. So I have put it above the inner cover. The bees are coming up and using it no problem. I don't know if they are building comb under it or not, because it's only been on for a little over a week. Maybe next time I check the hive I'll hold it up and look. If they are building comb I'll nail a couple of pieces of 1/4" plywood to the bottom of it and seal it up except for the middle. I have read that some burr comb is OK, and the bees use it for a "ladder".