Default Feeling rejected by my bees

I felt like our relationship was about as good as could be expected until I watched this video.

You don't have to watch the whole thing, but the part at 7:30 where he just uses his finger to move the bees aside from the queen just blew my mind. If that's how bees are supposed to behave, my bees hate me. When I pick up the frame with the queen on it - heck, when I pick up the BOX with the queen in it -- they definitely let me know that they don't approve. So what I want to know is, do most beeks have this cozy relationship with their bees?

Default Re: Feeling rejected by my bees

I want what he's giving those girls, for me.

Nah, not my hives. I don't go in them without being geared up and only late in the day so the girls will have all night to settle down.

Hmmm . . . Maybe I should give the stuff he uses to the wife?

For the most part my bees are pretty tame and forgiving. Let a hive go queenless, undergo robbing,dearth or in the fall and then they can get alittle testy. Jim
    Stop and smell the flowers, 50,000 ladies can't be wrong
    Bsweetapiary@aol.com

There weren't enough bees in that hive to be testy, but some hives are calmer than others.

Your best relationship with bees is when they completely ignore you... anything else is not as good...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I was beginning to wonder when he first opened the hive if there were any bees in it. I noticed a few on the lid but there weren't many on the top of the frames.

I just did a split on Friday, and there were bees all through it. There were two hive bodies plus a super - and each of them were jammed pack with bees. And he sure wouldn't be spliltting my hives with no protection. My girls were NOT happy, and I used lots of smoke. When I took the hive apart, I put the one hive in one area, the super in another area, and left the bottom hive where it was. Any time I would even get near any piece, about 10 bees would beeline right for me.

I do admit though, his girls were very relaxed.

Calm enough, but it looked like at minute 7:10 or so one of his girls got him on his right index finger.
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

My first year bee hive was like that. They where like pets. You could take the cover off and they didn't even seem to notice anything had changes. Never smoked, never used a veil once I figured out how friendly they where.

Never got to see if they heated up with time since a bear got them that fall. Maybe thats what you get for being tame.
    Last edited by Aerindel; 04-23-2012 at 12:35 AM.

I would have to think there was some preparation beforehand to make that video, so don't feel too rejected madrona. > The video begins with the smoker smoking so he may have smoked them lightly at first, that's why you see few bees on the top bars to begin with. > The way he loosened and lifted the frames indicated he probably did the prep work of breaking any propolis seal to make that go smoothly. > Although she may have moved around a bit, I really think he knew approximately where the queen was before he started, otherwise the video would have been over too quickly to properly demonstrate the procedure. > It created an aura of Hitchcockian "suspense",..,..to hold your attention.

He has probably done this hundreds of times. He wanted to make the video in a professional manner to demonstrate the procedure, so there may have been a dry run or rehearsal of some kind. He picked a hive and bees that he knew were gentle.
    Last edited by Oldbee; 04-23-2012 at 07:14 AM.

Evey hive is different. Every day is different.

Quote Originally Posted by mrobinson View Post
    Evey hive is different. Every day is different.
    Truer words...

I simply see an experienced beekeeper, this stuff is not magic you just have to learn your bees.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

I have colonies that I could do that with every day, some that I might get away with it some days but not others, and some that I would never even think about it.

Its all in the genetics, time of day, weather, if there is a flow on or not, if something has been bothering them, etc.