Hi - I have two hives in NorCal, one is a package that was installed about three weeks ago, the other is a swarm I captured about a month ago. The package is coming along fairly well, having built out most of a single deep. The swarm hive is thriving, with two deeps and one super that's about one third full of uncapped honey. I'm thinking about splitting one or the other to expand my apiary, when would I do this? I've heard conflicting advice, with most tending to recommend waiting until late summer.

Thanks!