A week ago friday I installed a package of Carniolans in my top bar hive. Its my first use of a top bar. Yesterday, one week after install, I made a close inspection. I had hung a piece of foundation with drawn comb on one side and honey on the other and located it on bar 5. After a week bars 4 and 6 are nearly fully drawn. Bar 7 is about half as is bar 3, however, bar three had a piece of comb exactly perpendicular to the straight comb they had drawn. It was located where the two lobes would come together. I removed it and layed it in the bottom of the hive so they could retrive the nectar in it. Not having used a top bar before I found it strange that all the comb has been perfectly straight, yet there was this one weird piece of comb turned 180 degrees opposite the straight comb on each side.
I'm curious if anyone has seen something like this before and also, just any comments in general about how you think these girls are doing after one week. I'm in Oregon and its just now gotten warm for a few days.