Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Queen not released yet - issues and questions

If it is that hot I would pull that entrance reducer off to let more air into the hive.
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

Very good idea - I'll take it off. Thanks!

The bees will control the airflow and temperature inside. I wouldn't take the entrance reducer off until the hive was strong enough to defend the "bigger" entrance. I don't remove mine until there's foraging traffic backed up at the entrance. My hives look like that in the hottest part of the day, but not over night. Just how I do it. Bearding and fanning is normal in my opinion.

I do agree with Jadell but I am lucky in that I can keep an eye on my hives. If I see signs of robbing I can close them down but otherwise just open em up and let em breath. If you have a screened bottom board you can leave the reducer on IMHO. If not I would take it off and keep an eye on it.
    USDA Zone 5A

OK well I do have an SBB and the reducer is on, but not reduced all the way to the small hole. So I suppose I'll just leave it on for a while. I do go watch the bees most days for at least a few minutes, so if I otice them getting REALLY hot I'll take it off at that point.

By and large, the thing to do now is to watch them in fascination. Assume that all is well.

OK I checked on the bees today and it appears that they are queenless. I looked at each frame and there are plenty of frames drawn out (almost all of them in the bottom super so I added on a second super). the foundationless frames seem to be working well. The comb is fatter in some spots but by and large it s straight and as I said almost all drawn out. Most of it is honey other than the original 3 frames that came with the Nuc.

Anyway, I did not see any eggs in the cells. All the brood from the frames that came with the Nuc appear to have hatched, but they are all empty now. There are a few cells - maybe 10% of the brood frames - that may have had something in them. They were not capped, but appeared to be about half - full with something. I tried to take some pictures of one of the brood frames so you can see what I mean - see some of the cells in the last picture for the most clear shot.

photo 2.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    photo 5.jpg

What should I do? I'm thinking I need to go get a queen fast!

I can't see your pictures good enough, but if it looks like the open cells in the bottom left off this picture then it's open brood, soon to be capped.

http://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/media/...00001086464066

The only thing I see in your photos is pollen and perhaps some nectar. I don't see a single brood cell. I personally would assume that you are queenless at this point. But that is just me and others might have ideas. If you have a frame of brood that has eggs on it from another hive I would put it in this hive and see if they build queen cells. Or you can spend $25 on a queen and see if they take to her.

Still early in the season so don't worry too much but I am sure you are. You can get this hive queenright and be on your way in short order. Just part of the game we play.

I would personally find another source for you next nuc though. This sounds like a package installed on five frames with queen added. None of the typical benefits of getting a nuc were realized. A lesson learned.
    USDA Zone 5A

You installed them on the 14th. On the 21st the queen still hadn't been released. On the 23rd you had poked a hole in the candy. She may well not have been released until 4 days after that which would be the 27th. I have seen queens take two weeks after being released to start laying so that would be the 11th of May which is 5 days from now.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

...and I'm about to send this thread to Beekeeping 101!
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

Thanks for all the suggestions. Out of an abundance of caution, I installed a new queen yesterday. It may or may not have been the right move - as Michael suggests, it is possible that there is a queen in there that just hasn't started laying yet. I was able to get a queen very quickly so I jumped on it. She is now hanging in a cage in the hive.

Solomon, sorry if I posted this in the incorrect forum - please feel free to move it if necessary. I wanted to get the advice of the treatment-free folk since that is very important!

Anyway, I'll post again when I have some progress to report. I'm not planning to open it up again until the weekend - is that a good time-frame?

I went and picked up a 5 frame Nuc this past Friday and it had an extra Nuc super on top because it was so full. The bottom box had 5 full frames of deep capped brood and was full of bees. As the seller was getting the Nuc reading for me to take, he asked me if I wanted him to put the Queen in a cage while I carry them to my home. I told him to just leave her on the frame. He said if he was mailing it, he would have placed her in a cage. So, just because she came in a cage does not mean it is not as some call it, a true Nuc.

Well I check on things yesterday and also removed the queen cage. Things went MUCH better this time around! The new queen had definitely been released and there was not a scrap of candy left in the plug. I expect that they are doing just fine now. I plan to wait a good 2 weeks before opening up the hive again to check on things. I've bothered them enough for sure at this point. Hopefully in a couple of weeks when I check, there will be plenty of eggs and brood in there.

Thanks again to everyone for the help and support!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12