Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Simple Tie in Device - picture

4K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  David LaFerney 
#1 ·
I've been meaning to share this since I thought of it a while ago, but it didn't actually try it until recently, and I hate to put forth untested stuff. Anyway, I have tried it. It works great. Just a scrap of 1/2"x1" hardware cloth - secure it to the top bar with a bread tie or staple. The rest is self explanatory.

See less See more
#5 ·
David, this looks like it has great possibilities. The only possible problem I see is with very fresh comb. The white comb drawn by a fresh swarm could be a little too soft to hold very well, especially if it is too short to hit the bottom bar and thus has to hang entirely on this wire. Typical brood comb from an established hive should be plenty tough to handle this. Thanks for sharing your idea!

#10 ·
my only concern is the space it creates on the side where the hardware cloth wraps around the side of the top bar.
Are you using a Top Bar Hive, or Lang. equipment? if you're using Lang frames, then the impact on the bee space there is negligible; if top bar equipment, you could always mill a little off to create a bee-space there, while leaving the ends of your bars full-width for spacing, of course.

#9 ·
I did this last year but with a finer grade wire mesh. I think my comb was too new because 3 out of 4 of them would not hold -especially with bees and brood in them. I also think the summers heat had something to do with it.....It is a great Idea though I think. I bent the ends of the wire up a little bit to really help hold it as well - like barb-less fish hooks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.