Default Couple split questions.

I split two of my hives and re queened the queenless portion of both.

The original hives started out very quickly this spring and thus my desire to split them. The original hives consisted of two deeps and two mediums. In both cases the queen had eggs and larva in both deeps and one of the mediums. In both cases I split up the frames to try to get even brood in both of the deeps. In both cases I took one deep and one of the mediums that had brood to the new hive and added the queen. In both cases I left a deep, added a deep with foundation only, actually foundation strips so basically foundationless and the medium on top of that.

So in the new hives I have Deep, medium with brood. In the old hives I have Deep, Deep empty, pulled Medium.

For the new hives I want to get another deep in there. I did not add another deep because that would have broken apart the brood cluster. But I don't want the new queen to start using the medium as a brood chamber. So am I safe to just add another deep to the new hive as well? It's still fairly cold here at night mid 30's.

Second question is feeding. I want them to draw out the second deeps as quickly as possible...but I don't want them to fill up the brood chamber with nectar and have them swarm. I'm particularly concerned about the original hives here.

Same question for the new hives but I'm not as concerned about them swarming.

~Matt

Default Re: Couple split questions.

For adding the new Deeps, I don't see any way that adding a new deep to the BOTTOM of the hive should hurt anything for you. That way the bees will have the space, the queen should be drawn down into it to start laying, instead of converting the medium to brood chamber on you, and you still won't have done anything to break up their cluster.

As far as feeding, I don't think the old hives should need fed much, as long as they still have ample stores...unless maybe you wanted to slow-feed them (mason jar with only 1-2 holes in the lid comes to mind) to try to stimulate more brood production & rapid buildup to take advantage of your spring flow (unless it's already started, then the old hives won't likely even TAKE the feed). The new splits probably will end up not having any/many foragers for a week or so, so yeah, I'd definitely want to put a slow feeder on them, and just monitor how much syrup they're taking to know when it can be taken away again. According to most sources, a slow-feeder shouldn't cause them to store much syrup in the comb, just stimulate brood rearing mainly.

For controlling swarming in any hives, "checkerboarding" the brood chamber seems to be the "gold standard" for that, but I think you should get advice on it from someone more experienced with that than myself.

Default Re: Couple split questions.

new deep to the BOTTOM of the hive should hurt anything for you.

Don't no why I didn't even think of that. Thanks.

I was thinking along the same lines on everything else. Not feeding the old hive with established queen but feeding the new one.

I tried to pseudo checker board the hives I split earlier in the year, but didn't have enough empty comb to do a proper job.

We'll see how it all goes.

Thanks again,

~Matt