Default 10 days, no brood

I installed a package Tuesday of last week. They've got 6 or 7 bars with nice amounts of comb (none fully drawn, though), nearly every cell has either nectar or pollen. There were two or three cells that were capped, but they were covered with bees and looked like honey. I saw one larvea, a big one at that. No other sign of brood. No eggs, no small larvea. One open queen cup. I spotted her on one comb. She looked good. Maybe a little skinny, but my untrained eyes spotted her. She was fatter than a worker, but thinner than a drone. Very pretty caramel color. She was wandering around, not running from me, but not stopping to check out cells, either. But there weren't very many empty cells anyway.

So... My thought is give them another week to build comb, and if next week I see no sign of brood (assuming space to lay in is made), then think about replacing her.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Bruce

Default Re: 10 days, no brood

do u know when she was released,allow 4 days for that then add 14 ,so after 18 days from install if no eggs."panic".....just kidding, you know shes there 1 larvea meant she is layin ,but thats an odd number,those eggs are really hard to see till u get used to it,but only one larvae makes me think she may have problems and an open queen cup already.what breed are the bees?

Default Re: 10 days, no brood

She was direct released on the same day, so she's been out and about 10 days, too. They had no useful comb to speak of to start, and we had several days of chilly temps right after installation. She might be an ok layer but there's practically not an empty cell to be found. They are Italians. I'm not worried now, but I will be next week.

If she turns out to be a dud, would her presence keep laying workers from cropping up, or is it only brood that does that?