Thread: inter cover

Default inter cover

When I put the inter cover on my hive there is only about 1/8 inch between the bottom of the cover and the topbars, is that right? I am trying to feed a new package and they don't seem to be taking much. When I feed through the entrance they are emptying it quickly. Is that not enough space for them to move around?

Default Re: inter cover

how are you feeding them ?

I believe you are referring to an "inner cover". The bees need a minimum of 1/4" and a maximum of 3/8" (bee space) to move around freely.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Thank you for the information and also the spelling correction, I had a brain freeze.

>I had a brain freeze.

You are not the first to call it an "inter cover" but I admit I never figured out where that and other common misspellings come from such as "Langstrom". Where does that come from? Or "honey cone"? Anyway, you have company...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Dang it. Now Langstrom is stuck in my head and I bet I write it like that before I can get rid of it

The elongated vent is sized for a bee escape. If it falls directly over a top bar, as in 9 frames, and only has 1/8 clearance, your hive parts are incompatible. With time, they will close the opening completely with propolis. If you don't intend to use a bee escape, it's easy to enlarge the opening in the inner cover.

Walt

Wcubed, what I did was shim the inner cover 1/4 inch to give them 3/8 inch to move across the topbars. I hope that was alright. Why do they make the inner covers with one flat side and I thought that side goes down giving them no room to travel across the topbars.. If I flip it it gives them alittle to much room. It just concerned me that they weren't able to get to the jar feeders t the top since they are draining the entrance feeder. I really need to get rid of the entrance feeder. Let me knoe what you think. Thanks

If your shim is continuous around the perimeter and the top of hive is bee-tight you are ok. You really don't want to provide access for robbers to your feeder area.
    Walt

A properly built inner cover will be deeper on one side than the other, however I noticed that some are being sold that are the same both sides, I do not like those.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries