Default what's wrong with her?

watching my green hive which started as nuc lots of new bees flying every where noticed several bees crawling around on the ground acting odd. only saw one like this anyone tell me whats wrong? should i inspect closer? didn't see anymore looked like somthing ate part of her wings? http://www.flickr.com/photos/kentuckyjeff/
    Last edited by kentuckyjeff; 04-20-2012 at 04:34 PM. Reason: pic prblems

Default Re: what's wrong with her?

those wings look like a cross of deformed wing virus,could be varroa or trachea or other disease.do the bees on the ground pump there abdomen alot and do some move pukishly like there almost dead.I had a hive looked like that last year and the bee lab couldn't find nothing.

most of the bees that are on the ground are not really acting strange other than just crawling around at random, just wondering around, sometimes moving there wings , but this is the only one i saw with messed up wings . i think these bees are coming from my first hive, i call it the green hive , but i have 2 more rite beside it one is a swarm and the other is a pkg from kelly bees, have only had these hives for 3 and 4 wks . the green hive is really booming have added 2nd brood box. what do i need to treat for??? there is only small amout of bees acting odd ,crawling around maybe saw 30 to 40 .

looks like varroa symtoms. have you ever treated?

are those bees hygienic,i'd say first do a mite count. might be varroa or disease from varroa,but theres also viruses some that i dont know of treatment for.you could always scoop up the ones on the ground and send them to the bee lab in beltsville and have them analyzed if u dont think its varroa or trachea the lab is free except u pay shipping which isnt much.or just watch them maybe it wont be a problem.another thing u could go in hive and break drone cells that will let u know if u have varroa bad,you'll see the critters when u pull the larvae out, if theres a frame full of drones u can put them in the freezer for 24 or 48 hrs and kill varroa then giv ethe frame back to the bees. good luck

Looks like an old bee to me.

Won't hurt to do a mite count. I suggest a sugar shake per the Sampling power point presentation in the link below.
    https://agdev.anr.udel.edu/maarec/ed...s/powerpoints/