Default bait hive question

I am thinking of trying out a swarm trap using a used 10 frame deep box, with one old drawn/brood frame and the rest old used wood frames that have the old comb removed, but little remnants of comb on the sides where the old comb used to be attached remaining. My question is, does it make much of a difference where the one drawn comb is positioned in the bait hive? Where do you think it's better to position it, on a side or in the middle?
    Thanks so much!
    -Serge

Default Re: bait hive question

I put mine in the middle and it works great

I put two frames of old dark comb against one outside wall. Then put two frames of foundation. That leaves six open spaces. The swarm will move onto the two old combs and start drawing on the two frames of foundation. Rarely do they go past the two foundations to drop comb. I check my swarm traps, (about 35) ever couple of weeks.

I have found that if you put the combs in the middle, the box isn't as roomy, and they tended to drop comb on both sides of the frames in the middle. I like starting against one wall.

I only use old 10 frame deeps, ready to be thrown away, 3-4 drops lemongrass oil, entrance reduced to about 3 inches width, 1/2 inch height.

cchoganjr

Thanks so much for the tips guys.
    -Serge