Default When will a queen begin to lay eggs?

Just curious . . . .

Does the queen wait for a fully drawn cell before putting an egg in it? or will she start as soon as the cell walls get a certain height? Will she lay an egg on new foundation?

New hives! Restarting after a few years off . . . built the bodies and such, bought the frames.

Default Re: When will a queen begin to lay eggs?

Patience is considered a virtue!

Queens aren't going to lay eggs in cells that are not ready for them. Once the cells are built, you may find the info at this link helpful.
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmath.htm
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

If a queen is in laying form they will usually lay in whatever comb they feel is available for them, they will often lay in foundation or comb that is only partially drawn.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Last week I transfered a swarm from a swarm trap into a Lang hive. The swarm was in the trap only for 24 hours and already built a palm sized comb, with nectar and pollen and eggs on it.

Quote Originally Posted by iwlf View Post
    Just curious . . . .

Does the queen wait for a fully drawn cell before putting an egg in it? or will she start as soon as the cell walls get a certain height? Will she lay an egg on new foundation?

New hives! Restarting after a few years off . . . built the bodies and such, bought the frames.

One of the few times I can see the eggs is when the queen has laid them into a frame that is only partially drawn. I was surprised to see it but happy since it meant that the crew had better put their hard hat s on and get down to building.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

I assume this is a package. The queen will lay in comb that is only 1/4" deep. But some take a couple of weeks to start. Some lay as soon as there is space.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thanks for the replies!

My packages were installed March 31, 2012 and are doing well, with capped brood, larvae, and eggs present. Was just wondering if the queen was cracking the whip to get the comb drawn! Looks like she is!