Default Should I check for queen release today?

I installed a package on Tuesday. Today the weather is going to be nice with temps in the 70s, but the next 5 days look cold and/or rainy. I have not looked if the queen has been released yet. Should I do that this afternoon (after 3 days) or should I just wait until next Tuesday (7 days) when the weather will be in the upper 50s again? Does it matter?

Also, should I use smoke when I get in there to check if the queen is out or should smoke be avoided this early on?

Thanks!

Default Re: Should I check for queen release today?

I would do it today and use smoke. Hopefully she is out and you can snatch the cage out before comb gets built on it.

I would also check today... if she's not out, pull the cork and release the queen between frames.

Be sure to push the frames together, and continue feeding syrup.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Okay I checked today and the queen has been released. Unfortunately I made a dumb newbee mistake. I noticed one of the sheets of Duragilt foundation I used was bowed to one side of the frame, and they had drawn it out, but had also made a big chunk of comb on top of it. I pulled that piece off. It was big. After putting everything back together I took a good look at it and noticed that it had eggs in it. Darnit! The queen was not on that piece, so that's good.

So the good news is I have a laying queen. I'll leave it closed up for a couple weeks and see what they make. Something tells me the comb won't be pretty with this foundation. I wish I had just gone with beeswax.

I wouldnt worry about losing a few eggs. The bees dont have many resources in them, and a queen can lay a bazillion eggs.