Default Simple idea to keep top-bars in place (on new hives)

I know that top bars will quickly become glued-down with propolis, but, until they are, I found it very useful to measure where they would sit upon the side-boards of the hive, and then to cut a shallow saw-kerf line at that spot on one end of the bar. This gives a very slight indent into which the bar naturally "catches" when put into place. When you set the bars in place, they naturally tend to line up on their own.

(It simply isn't necessary to run two kerf-lines, one at both ends. Doesn't add any benefit, and can actually make them a little harder to line up.)

Default Re: Simple idea to keep top-bars in place (on new hives)

I just line up the ends of the top bars, pretty easy and really the only reason I do it is for my benefit (looks neater).

I like my bars lined up so I don't accidentally change the bee space on my girls...so I either make a "step" in the angled hive walls where the bars sit, or add a 1/8" strip of wood to the inside of the wall there, either way it gives the bars a "rest" and the walls of the hive hold 'em in place nicely

That's a good idea. What I was going to do was line up the bars and draw a line where the wall contacts the top bars then tack a small finishing nail beside that line. But I like the kerf idea. I can set up the table saw and just run them through and be done with it

I simply placed the bars down, noted where they naturally sat, measured the distance and set the saw fence. Then just run 'em all through once, on one side only. A very shallow cut is sufficient. Slide the bars gently back and forth and they just "catch," on one side or the other, and they're naturally perpendicular to the sides as they should be. It frankly works better than I expected it to.