Default Queen ID help (Warning not great pictures)

Sorry for the poor photograph, anyone care to give an opinion if this looks like a freshly hatched virgin/non-virgin queen? The hive had at least 7 queen cells in (found during a splitting)

P1010002a.jpgP1010008a.jpg

Default Re: Queen ID help (Warning not great pictures)

yup
    As to whether she is mated or not...in the catcher she sort of looked like a virgin but on the frame...it was a guess.
    Two ways to tell. One does she move the devil is chasing her? Fast and furious? Yes..then more than likely a virgin
    Two, is she light on her feet. Literally. A mated queen, my observations, seems to hug the frame more, IMO, cause she is heavier. Her legs seem to stick out and she is flatter to the frame. A virgin though is flighty. She is she is up on her legs, like she is prancing...bad choice of words...like walking on her tippy toes... they seem to be more under her, able to carry her light body. And she is quick to move

Default Re: Queen ID help (Warning not great pictures)

Well she did not run like you desribe so I am thinking mated. She did stick to the frames pretty good and her wings looked small in proportion.

Funny when I let her back out she did not dive between frames, she hung out on the top board, that was why I could get the picture. I hope I did not hurt her when I grabed her. she seemed to moving all parts just fine in the cather...