Default Hello from Japan

I got into beekeeping here in Japan last year. I ran across a Japanese guys blog who builds his own traditional Japanese bee hives. My wife and I have a pretty nice size garden and I thought it would be great to have some bees for pollination and honey. I built a traditional Japanese hive which is basically four cedar boards screwed together and a 6 top bar removable frame set screwed in on the top box for the bees to draw comb. I caught a feral swarm of Italians in late June and was thrilled. After reading about other kinds of hives I decided to build a Kenyan Top Bar Hive complete with an observation window. After I built it, I just had to move the bees into it so I could observe them. To make a long story short, during the move, the bees were attacked and killed by Giant Japanese hornets. This is the largest hornet in the world and kill about 80 people a year here in Japan. It was a tragedy but I ready for them this year. I built a Tanzanian TBH so I could use standard Langstroth frames and have already received my bees and an Australian raised Italian Queen. She is installed and I can't wait to go check the hive on Monday. Cheers to everyone on the form.

Default Re: Hello from Japan

Welcome to Beesource!

For those who have never heard of them before, here's a link with more on Giant Japanese hornets:
    http://www.mnn.com/local-reports/ohi...u-fair-warning

He is about two inches long with a three-inch wingspan and a quarter-inch stinger.
    The link above has a photo of the hornet sitting on a human hand. He's about 1/3 the size of the hand! There is also a link to a National Geographic video of the hornets attacking a beehive.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Thanks Rader. When the hornets first attacked, I had nothing to fight them with. I looked around the little barn we have and found and old badminton racket and started swinging. I managed to kill about 8 of them but by then it was too late. It is the biggest bee I've ever seen.

Welcome to Beesource!
    My wife wants us to visit Japan someday so she could meet some of her family, she is half Japanese!
    Sounds like I had better bring my hornet traps!
    Hugus Creek Honey Farm: St. Maries, ID / Lewiston, ID
    Like us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Bee View Post
    Welcome to Beesource!
    My wife wants us to visit Japan someday so she could meet some of her family, she is half Japanese!
    Sounds like I had better bring my hornet traps!
    Mtn.Bee Thanks for your comment. I went to your FB site. What a beautiful apiary. I hope I can have something like that one day. We live on the very southern tip of Honshu In Yamaguchi Ken. Kyshu is about and hours drive for us and is where I got my bees. I just confirmed that the queen was released and observed really healthy activity outside the hive. I think all is well. Say "Nihon samishi desu ne" to your wife. It means you miss Japan don't you. Take care.

Welcome to the site!

Welcome. I'd like to hear more about beekeeping in Japan.

Thank You for the great compliment! I will definitely tell my wife.
    And thanks for liking us on Facebook! When we visit Japan someday I would like to visit your Apiary?!
    Hugus Creek Honey Farm: St. Maries, ID / Lewiston, ID
    Like us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by heaflaw View Post
    Welcome. I'd like to hear more about beekeeping in Japan.
    Thanks. I will try to keep posting info on my beekeeping experience in Japan. The Japanese do beekeeping a little differently. Also they have the Apis cerana japonica. This is a specis of honey bee native to Japan. They are resistant to the Giant Japanese hornet and are also resistant to varroa mites.

Welcome!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com